...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Drifting...

Yes, we're only in week 2 and already drifting away from lesson plans, schedules, and the like. Except for some phonics and math most days (in which we've already switched out some curricula), we seem to be almost unschooling. Oops!

We have been reading a lot about Australia. I had a huge number of books reserved at the library, from fiction to almost-travel guides... most of the fiction has gone over well, while the more dry books have been returned. We watched a neat video yesterday called Families From Australia, part of the Families of the World series (can't wait to see some more). We've been learning about the ocean and seashore too, but not with sit-down-and-fill-out-this-worksheet lessons. We've watched a few Bill Nye the Science Guy videos, flipped through some Eyewitness books. And we have had other learning going on as well - the Elf checked out an Eyewitness book on airplanes, and spent yesterday afternoon building one from cardboard scraps and tape - he has also filled nearly an entire sketchbook this week, with elaborate drawings of unique and futuristic cars. The Fairy has been learning nursery rhymes and, coincidentally, letter sounds. We also did a science experiment yesterday, from one of our videos - the egg in salty versus plain water experiment. The kids were delighted it worked! And then the Elf poured the super-salty water into a tray and took it in the backyard - he's going to track how many days it will take for the water to evaporate, leaving the salt behind. Since the weather has suddenly become much cooler, this may take more time than he thinks!

I say this is all unschooling, because it is at their request that we sit down and read, or watch a video. True though, I am piling up books on Australia and the Ocean all over the house, so I am influencing them! And I do require phonics and math to be done. Is there such a thing as guided unschooling?

We started our classes at the charter school yesterday - I feel that I should mention that these classes are only 90 minutes in length, more or less. The Elf is in a class of eight - first and second graders together, while the Fairy's kindergarten level class has 12 or 13 kids in it. Thankfully she knew a couple of them from the last few months of last year. I stayed with her in class, where we sang, made paper dolls (each kid made a paper doll of themselves to hang up), drew pictures, and played. At the "lunch" break, the Fairy was very glad to see a good friend of hers from last year, who is now in the 1st/2nd grade class.

The Elf is learning about art in his class, so yesterday they made color wheels. His best buddy from last year also returned to the classes, and I swear, it was like the two of them had never been apart! They made friends with a new boy too, but their two-way friendship seems very special. The Elf really enjoyed being in a class without kindergarteners this year, as it is now geared at a slightly higher level. I am a bit worried though ;) - he and his best buddy spent their entire "recess" chasing girls... Geez... Wednesday both kids will have Spanish and music (about 40 minutes for each class).

Tomorrow the Fairy starts ballet - she is very, very, very excited. She checked out a tape of Angelina Ballerina episodes from the library in preparation. She has her pretty blue leotard all laid out. She is convinced she will be a star! The Elf meanwhile is really enjoying fencing classes - this week will be his third. I am constantly amazed at how well he grasps the various postures, though I have to say that when it comes to actually engaging in "fighting", he gets nervous and completely unaggressive. The first week, he was very thrown off by warm-ups, where they essentially play dodgeball. Having never been to school, this was not something he was familiar with, so having balls thrown at him was very upsetting and he ended up sitting out that warm-up. We came home and practiced, and last week went much better - he even hit someone! Yes, I am thrilled that my son hit someone with a ball... what can I say?

Anyhow, I've got housework to do, and a couple of books to read for class, so off I go!

2 comments:

  1. Australia and ocean life were two of our favorite unit studies ever! I think I have the Australia one over at my blog under the unit study link, but I don't believe I've ever posted to ocean one...yet. I love guided unschooling days, but we don't have many of them.
    (Reminder to self: do more!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOh, I'm liking the second sidebar. Your blog looks really good, G!

    And I loved your "guided unschooling" comment. Hee, hee. Why not use the term? Shakespeare invented words. Why can't we? : )

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)