...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

She read! She read!

Fairy read 2 Bob Books to me yesterday! I have been a bit concerned lately (though I try to relax and remember that each child learns at their own pace), because while she knew her letter sounds, she couldn't identify the letters of the alphabet verbally. But if she can read, I guess there isn't a huge problem! Such a giant sigh of relief....

We've been very relaxed this summer, so far, although we have been reading from my summer list. I need to get back on track with the little bit of summer work I was having them do, so today's plans are:

Elf
2 pages in his tiny summer math book
Work on one story starter
Read 15 minutes in his chapter book

Fairy
Review a Bob Book
Work on letter and number recognition (while she is starting to read, I do want her to be able to identify her letters and numbers!)
One page in a cheap math workbook I picked up somewhere

We also have to run some errands, including picking up a Desert King Snake that needs a new home. The kids are already arguing over a name for it! While I am not really a snake person, I don't mind them, and M loves them.

Two more things...

I have applied for 3 new jobs - please keep some good vibes coming, as all three are jobs I would like, with regular, normal hours (you know, evenings at home, weekends off). Two of the three are teaching assistant positions - one at a funky litle charter school (this is the one I really want), one at a preschool, and the third position is working at an environmental discovery center, leading and teaching kids.

Divided on whether to go for a single subject teaching credential in biology, or a multiple subject credential, specializing in early childhood education (ages 0-8). Both could eventually lead to a Master's, meaning I could teach at a community/junior college at least. Both could lead to decent jobs. Both come with their own benefits, and set of challenges... at least I have until next March to decide, as that is when I have to fill out the paperwork for my declared minor!

2 comments:

  1. First-congratulations on Fairy reading! Very, very exciting!!

    Second-I just applied for a very part-time position working 1 night a week at our local library & one Saturday a month. So, I'll gladly send you good vibes!

    Third-I earned my B.H in Secondary English & could never find a job...so, I got my M.Ed. in Teaching & Curriculum and yes...never found a college-level job, either. My husband earned his MFA and taught adjunct at a couple of colleges for a while...but full-time, tenure-track positions are hard to come by. :( So...I would suggest the Early Childhood degree first & foremost and if you go for a Master's...go for something that will allow you to possibly run a center--or allow you to teach Early Ed majors at the college-level.

    That's just my two cents--around here having one specialized subject certification rarely offers your much employment. Too many schools and too few teachers retiring. :(

    Good luck!! Do what you love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I've really been considering the ECE over biology, so I think I will go that direction.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)