...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, August 17, 2009

And it's...

Happy Not-Back-to-School Day for us! All the public schools in our area started up today, which by the way seems really early, especially since they are considering cutting 5 days from the school calendar to save money. Anyhow, it was a morning of children going past our house to the elementary school right down the street - clean, shiny, in stiff new clothes, with new notebooks loaded in their backpacks... I admit, as a child I loved the first day of school! I loved having all the new supplies, the new clothes, a good tan after a summer spent mostly outdoors, seeing friends I hadn't seen in a couple of months. I think that nostalgia is one of the (several) reasons we start back in early September. I do go out and buy new supplies - I have a thing for those unused, unopened boxes of crayons, packages of paper, and newly sharpened pencils. And yes, I will be buying new clothes for my kiddos, mostly because they have outgrown nearly all of last year's fall and winter clothing. They do get a first day of school of sorts, both here at home, and at the charter school we use for art classes.

But today, we are hanging out, watching cartoons, and having french toast. We unfortunately stayed up far too late last night, and as a result missed roller skating, but we'll still have a good day, not going back to school.

2 comments:

  1. The school here begins on August 31 and I am eagerly awaiting the day we walk to the indoor pool and find it deserted. Heh.

    Hope you had a lovely Not-Back-to-School-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your approach! Urban Dad returns for teachers' meeting next Wednesday, so maybe that will be our official start date. I'm thinking a trip to the Field Museum (it's a free day that day, so why not?).

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)