...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The end of term one...

We have (not quite officially) reached the end of our first term/semester, and are now embracing Christmas break wholeheartedly! Had a meeting with the kids' resource teacher today, and I felt bad because this cold has rendered me pretty much incapable of actual thought, and I forgot to get her a little something. She gave us two jars of honey from her own beehives, which is totally cool, and very yummy, but I still feel badly.

Anyhow, the meeting went well, despite my fuzzy-headedness. The kids read to her, she looked over the work samples we turned in, loaned me a book on nouns (for Elf), gave me an idea for working on blending sounds with Fairy, and offered me a chance to teach a one and a half hour class once a week (K-2nd graders). Teaching and planning an actual class might be good for me! So, since the meeting went well, and all, I have decided to start break a little early. Lessons will be resumed in January, hopefully with a little more organization than I have had as of late.

Also had Fairy's dance class today, last one until January. I was allowed to watch as were the other parents, and I enjoyed it immensely. I think she's still better in ballet than tap, but she enjoys both. When we return after break, they'll start in on practicing for June's recital, and in February we'll be ordering costumes. Elf has tap tomorrow, and then that's one more thing we won't have on the schedule for a couple of weeks. Fairy thinks that next fall she would like to continue with tap lessons from this teacher, and maybe do ballet at one of the ballet schools nearby. We'll see!

I am fiishing up my semester as well. I have completely finished one class and am in the midst of a retorspective essay for the other class. My final for Children's Lit was going to see The Fantastic Mr Fox, and then discussing it. So, M went with me and we took the kids, both of whom enjoyed the film quite a bit. Elf has finished reading the book, so he was really interested to see how it translated to the big screen. Afterwards, Elf talked to the class about the differences he saw, and then had hot chocolate with his dad and sister. Probably the best final I've ever had! Then in the spring, I'll be taking math two mornings a week, and finishing my final semester in the degree completion program, although I am not graduating until after the next fall semester. My "senior" and final semester in the program is self-directed. I need to come up with and execute a project. It doesn't have to be completely done... it can be a work in progress at the end, but there has to be something to write about and present. I had originally planned on writing and illustrating a children's book, and while that is still my number one choice, I will have to see how it all pans out. Lot to think about there!

Anyhow, if I don't make it back here before the holidays, have a safe, joyful, and happy time!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Best of luck on finals, and enjoy the holiday season! We will be wrapping up after today as well.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)