...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Darn, nasty heat...

It's been way too hot here the last few days, and from what I hear today and tomorrow are supposed to be worse. At least it's nice right now, and the evenings are lovely - warm enough that we had dinner al fresco last night (teriyaki chicken kabobs, a Caribbean-style rice pilaf with fresh pineapple, and a big green salad - yummy!), and then the kids went in the pool rather than take baths. I chose to just rest my feet in the pool, but ended up soaking wet anyway ;)

Speaking of the pool, the Fairy has taught herself to swim the length of it underwater. And by swim, I mean just that - my girl is swimming! I am in awe. I realize that yes, it's a fairly short pool, but still... And finally the Elf is losing his aversion to getting his head wet, and losing teeth. Yep, yet another visit from the Tooth Fairy last night. He has one more baby tooth (a canine), not including his six year molars. And I have to say, since all his dental trauma some time ago, he's gotten so much better at brushing his teeth - I no longer have to rebrush them for him. I bought, for both kids, these toothbrushes that flash for a solid minute, and have them using one set of flashes for top brushing, then they reactivate it and do the bottom, or vice versa. Seems to help so far.

Other than all the excitement of swimming, and losing teeth, things have been fairly normal around here. Our garden is growing (and sometimes wilting in this heat); we watch birds, butterflies, and cartoons; read stories; the Elf adds everything he can find... oh, and we're adding to our menagerie! Sometime in the next week or so we will have two kittens! They are undergoing litter training right now, and then they will come live with us. That brings us up to 1 dog, 1 snake, 2 parakeets (fairly recent addition), and 2 cats. I wonder what animal we'll get next!

2 comments:

  1. Wow--all those baby teeth nearly gone!! My 7 yos lost his 5th today.

    I feel for you with the wallpaper! Took me a year from start to finish on the kitchen, after living in it and hating the wallpaper for 7 years!!
    homeschoolblogger.com/smallworld

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my new site!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)