...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ups and downs...

The ups...
Friday: The kids woke up very excited as we were off to a park day birthday for one of their favorite friends! We ended up spending six hours at the park, playing with all the friends they hadn't seen in ages, along with the ones they have seen a few times in the last month. I got to chat with a few of the moms, and I think I may have convinced K that the homeschool 4-H isn't too institutional, or rigid, for her family. If I get my schedule fixed the way I want it (I turned in my written request yesterday), we'll be able to rejoin 4-H this fall ourselves, which I would really like for the kids. Anyhow, we had cake, lemonade, and lots and lots of fun Friday.

Saturday: We went to the flea market in the morning, and just wandered around for an hour or so. The kids had each brought a couple of dollars from their piggybanks, and carefully chose a toy apiece, plus I found a huge wooden dollhouse for a dollar. It is sadly lacking in any trim, or nice touches, but I can add those.

Then we came home for lunch, and some rest, before heading off to the movie theater to see Prince Caspian, courtesy of 4 free tickets my BIL gave us. Great movie! We all loved the first, and now the kids have demanded that I buy this one as soon as it hits DVD. Since the kids have only seen one other movie at the theater (Polar Express a few years back) this was a very thrilling experience for them, and both just sat there in awe the entire time. As far as "sequels" go, I found this one very satisfying.

After that, we stopped for very rarely eaten fast food, and that's the beginning of...

the downs...

Otherwise known as food poisoning. I was luckily the only one to get it, as I was the only one that had chicken. I spent all of late Saturday night, and well into Sunday, being absolutely miserable. I had to call in sick to work for the first time since I started working there. And it made my ulcer flare up for the first time in a couple of years. Yes, at the ripe old age of 35ish I have an ulcer. I developed it a few years ago during a horrible time of two very small children, an awful house, bad weather, and no money. Enough said about that, but Owwwww! So now I really have to watch everything that goes in my mouth. I did lose a couple of pounds in the last couple of days, but I really don't think this is the best way to do it.

And that's a rundown of the last few days here! How was your weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, eww. So sorry about your food poisoning!! That's just blecchy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh god... food poisoning is the WORST. once when urban kid 1 was a baby, urban dad and i both got it at the same time (thank you, subway). one bathroom. one really long night.

    i hope that you're recovering soon. can't imagine adding an ulcer into the works. thank goodness none of the kids got to share in "fun."

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)