...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, October 2, 2008

I think I'm crazy...

I have had an idea. And yes, it is crazy, at least a little. What if I were to go on after my bachelor's degree, and my teacher credentialing, to get a Master's Degree in Fine Arts? With that, I could teach art just about anywhere, including at the community college level, which would be awesome. And with the number of units I already have in art, I can get a Master's in a relatively short amount of time. At the rate I am going, this would mean that I will turn 42 (not 41 as I originally thought/posted) the year I finish. Not too bad. ;) Teaching art would make me happier than teaching in a regular school. Teaching art even in a regular school wouldn't be too bad, plus they pay significantly more for people who have both a B.A. and a M.F.A. I have always loved art. I sketch incessantly these days and dream of taking up painting. This way, I could have a steady income for something I love.

So there's my insane plan for you. M thinks it is a great idea. He thinks I would be very content teaching art part-time at the local community/junior college, which is my eventual goal. Of course, I have to now find a college that offers the M.F.A. and good financial aid (though I have one idea)....

In other news, the kids are over their colds! And we are now in the midst of studying Africa. I found a great book of short stories, Behind the Back of the Mountain, which the kids are really enjoying. We read A Family from South Africa, and they kids were impressed by two things: first, how little they owned, and how long the children spent in school (8 hours a day, 5 days a week). the Elf said he was especially glad not to be in school that much.

We haven't gotten much "school" work done this week though. My brother closed on the house he bought, so we are once again helping him, and my mom, move. Since my mom is somewhat disabled (back injuries from a car accident several years ago), my brother and I are doing all the work while my mom watches the kids, which can be a difficult job in itself!

And now I am off to read another lecture by Freud for this month's (college) workshop. Ah, the excitement!

2 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea! I'm 42 and I have as a long-range (maybe in 5 years) plan that I'd like to teach a class or two at the community college--when my kids are all 12 or older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the least bit crazy. Life is too short to worry about ideas like this one being crazy. Go get it!!!

    =-)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)