...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, October 3, 2008

Simple joys...

Homemade play dough. I made a batch the other day, using this recipe, and it is a complete success with the kids! I have never actually made play dough before, as my MIL usually keeps us in stock, but since it's been a good 6 months or so since they had any, I decided to give it a go. At first I was worried - it looked lumpy and disgusting, but when it cooled enough for kneading, it became smooth and pliable quickly. I even bought (unsweetened) koolaid for the first time in my life, which added a lovely color and fragrance, though I would think I could add more natural colors and a drop or two of essential oils next time.

Watching the two of them play with the dough shows such a difference in their personalities. the Elf carefully scuplts cars and people, and the occasional animal, while the Fairy pretends it is food that she is cutting and preparing. All sorts of imaginative play! We also spent some time making their names with long "snakes" of play dough, and I can see how to work this in as part of the Fairy's letter learning. Right now they have each made a "gingerbread" person and are chanting "Pattycake, pattycake, baker man" while dancing their people together.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe! I've been meaning to make play dough...you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops I forgot to mention, sure you can put my blog link on yours. I added yours to my fave. BTW, how did you input all your cool side bars?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh! And I love all your extra curriculum ideas! I'm definitely going to get the fairy alphabet book and colouring book for my daughter! chapters.ca has them in stock, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We made a big batch of it for Ally's little "class store" last year and it went really fast. We had a blast making it--the kids love it, don't they? Fun stuff!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)