...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, November 14, 2008

Our week in review...

Ooops. We didn't do much, honestly. It's just been one of those weeks, you know? I did read a lot to the kids, both books about South America and more of The Cricket in Times Square. the Elf read more in Danny and the Dinosaur. But somehow, time for sitting down and doing lessons seemed elusive... evasive. So I'll chalk this week up to unschooling!

I also had a lot of reading this week. For my class, I read Of Water and Spirit: Ritual, Magic & Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman, which was fascinating and enjoyable, especially after too many weeks of Freud. I also read Plenty and am now reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - both just for my own reasons. Both Plenty and AVM have really made me think about food differently. I do try in general to buy local, to support local businesses and local farmers, but I think I need to be more consistant with my efforts. I added an "Eat Locally" button to my sidebar, which helps find restaurants, farmer's markets and much more just by typing in a zip code! I realized too, in talking with my husband yesterday, that we are very fortunate to live where we do, as nearly every food we eat (except coffee, chocolate and a couple of other little things) can be grown locally. So while I can't say I'll go to the lengths of the authors whose books inspire me, I can try much harder to live more lightly on the planet.

Enough lecturing and rambling... it's a gorgeous day here and we need to get outside!

2 comments:

  1. A week of unschooling sounds just about perfect to me! And you reminded me of the garden I've been wanting to plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've gotten a lot of food for thought.

    We've been talking a lot around the Pixilated Palace about living little lighter, less consumer-y in this crazy consumer-y world ...

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)