...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, July 15, 2011

4H thoughts...

We've decided to go ahead and enroll in 4H once more. We've been with our homeschool club off and on for a few years now, and I like the idea of continuity. That and a friend asked me to stay in the club! I think I may even lead a project, this time focused on art. I am thinking of using the lovely Usborne Art Treasury as the main source... since this will ensure we do the projects ourselves! Maybe I could add in a story for each artist from this list. M wants to help me run a two-day project sometime next spring in kite building and flying that I think would be a blast!

I have told the kids we will limit the number of projects they are in. It also helps that they didn't run for any offices this year since we were not sure we'd be able to return. Instead, we can simply attend the meetings, choose and enjoy projects, and help with clean-up as much as possible! Looking at the calendar, it seems that there are going to be some good projects in the works, helping replace the idea of the charter school for hands-on stuff. It looks like our club is smaller this year too, which has both good and bad points.

To be done this week...
We're getting ready for our second Spiral Scouts meeting. Cassia needs to finish decorating her canvas bags toward her recycling badge. Cyrus needs to work on a piece of art (representing our circle) for an art award. Both need to make a piece of art representing five favorite things, for another badge. I am looking at uniform bits and pieces.

Cyrus has only two songs for piano practice this week, but has been given the task of memorizing one.

Cassia and I will continue to work on phonics and reading this week.

I am working on a spreadsheet correlating extra resources with the lessons (primarily history and science) from the Core Knowledge sequence. I am only planning out one unit at a time.

I also want to practice making spring rolls for our Around the World potluck the following week. And we want to finish watching our documentaries on China.

In reading, Cyrus is making his way through the second Harry Potter book, and Wizardology. For our read-aloud, we have decided to hold off on the rest of The Red Pyramid until we study Egypt, and so have started The Search for Delicious, which we're really enjoying!

That should be enough to keep us busy for a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)