...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Reading...

I just got, and have been thumbing through Home Education by Charlotte Mason. I was, and am, particularly interested in the section on reading. I have decided to go ahead and try the approach outlined with Cassia - I'll let you know if it works. So here is the process as I understand it... just a quick note: I am using this with The Elson Readers Primer...

Pre-work: I typed up the entire first story in a large simple font to be cut apart word by word. I already have alphabet "tiles" I made on card stock.

Step 1: I introduce one word by writing it on a whiteboard and reading it.

Step 2: Cassia studies the word until she is comfortable enough to make it with her letter tiles, without looking at the whiteboard.

Step 3: Cassia finds the word in her pile of cut-apart words. She also finds the word on the page in the book itself.

Step 4: We repeat the entire process with the rest of the words in the first sentence, and then she can read the whole sentence to me.

Step 5ish: As we go, she puts the cut-up words into a column, and then toward the end of the lesson, she can play with them, picking out sentences I dictate, or making sentences of her own.

Step 6: The next day, we review the first sentence (or two) that we learned the day before, then follow the whole process again for the next line or two. We can also introduce spelling the second day, by using one of the word families present in the story and our letter cards (and the whiteboard so she can see the word first.)

Supposedly, this process takes very little actual time. It will be an interesting trial at least! There's more to it than that, but I think this is a good starting place.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, G. Great info! I am going to remember this post for Mater. I really like the Elson Readers. They are so high quality compared with the garbage nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:44 PM

    Hopefully it will work well for Cassia.

    The Charlotte Mason method is great, in that it's a blend of classical academic rigorousness, and understanding about a child's natural processes, abilities, and needs. It seems funny that the two ideals could possibly function together, but I really embrace CM's ideas about short lessons and moving on when a child's attention is waning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindie,
    That's exactly why I bought these readers a couple of years ago. I love the quality, the illustrations... they are charming books and SO much better than a lot of newer readers.

    And Wendy,
    Yes, CM's methods are an amazing combination of rigor and understanding of a child. I think that's why I am so drawn to it!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)