...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A product rave...



I can't tell you how much we are enjoying these books! I feel very good about moving into math where I am more involved with the kids than math that they do with a computer.

Bug and I did lesson 2 in LOF: Fractions yesterday. It was a lesson on billions, with Fred trying to calculate how long it would take him to list a billion reasons against buying a bike at one reason per second. While Bug has done multiplication, it has never been at this scale. He first found the number of seconds per hour, then per day, then per year, and then the total number of seconds in 31 years, which, in case you are wondering, is still just shy of a billion. It was only 5 problems, but they were a challenge! I had him do them on graph paper for easier number placement. When I get a chance, I'll scan the page and you can see all of his painstaking work, which he got 100% on! We also learned about onomatopoetic words, the word "onomatopoetic" not being any too easy to pronounce repeatedly, but still an awesome word at 7 syllables!

This is such a different math program. Such a different approach. I really wish they had had math like this when I was a kid! The story lines are funny, yet informative. I like how math is woven in throughout. And 5 problems is a good amount to see if they understood the ideas in each chapter.

Today math will be something different. Maybe Math Mammoth, or a library book followed by activities. We'll just have to see what strikes us!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, G, I've been drooling over these books! I might have to break down and put them on my Christmas list! Glad you like them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest has enjoyed LOF and has been asking for the next in the series. Your post yet another reminder to make good on my intentions!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)