...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Summer School" 2009

We don't usually school in the summer, but after having to start fresh last fall, I think I'd like them to keep more current this year.

the Fairy
Learn-on-the-Go Capital & Lowercase Letters (2 letters/week), along with Scholastic's Alphabet Mini-Books
Saxon Math 1 (approx. 1 lesson/week)
Playing around with a huge set of phonics activities the charter school gave me

the Elf
Daily reading for 20 minutes (minimum)
Free writing in his journal, alternated with using Scholastic's Writing Prompts Mini-Books
Bellwork Mathematics Level 2 (4 problems a day, review work)

Both
The Composer Is Dead (for an intro to parts of the orchestra)
A brief study of early man through Ancient Egypt, using the reading list below...

Reading List
(note: items in brown have been read)
Life on Earth: The Story of Evolution
The Visual Dictionary of Prehistoric Life
In the Beginning: Creation Stories from Around the World
Stone Age Boy

The Days of the Cave People
Sunset of the Sabertooth
Gilgamesh the King (Gilgamesh Trilogy)
Revenge of Ishtar (Gilgamesh Trilogy)
Last Quest of Gilgamesh (Gilgamesh Trilogy)

Who Built the Pyramids?
Boy of the Pyramids
Mummies in the Morning
Who Was King Tut?

5 comments:

  1. What sort of charter school do you use--a brick & mortar or a cyber?

    Or...do you take the kids to enrichment courses through a charter school?

    I read so many blogs, sometimes I lose track of who does what/goes where, etc. Sorry!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. After thinking about it, I'm guess you don't use a brick & mortar--or it wouldn't be kitchen table homeschool, would it? :)

    Is it cyber--the reason I'm asking is because we're going to enroll in a cyber charter in Fall of 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually it IS a brick & mortar.... they take classes there once or twice a week depending on what they feel like, and the school gives me loads of supplies, it is how I afford Saxon math for example ;)

    The vast majority of our schoolwork is at the kitchen table though, hence the name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL--so it is a brick & mortar! I'm glad I asked!

    I'm so glad kids today have the choice of charters--when I was young the only *other* option besides so-called public school was an arts magnet school & very few kids attended those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know - I am so glad to have options too, and so far this one has worked really well for us.

    When I was little, we lived in a fairly rural area, with just ONE school "choice"!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)