...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, June 18, 2009

A whirlwind of activity...

I had to just sit and relax for a while. Today is the last day before our first backpacking trip with the kids, so naturally there are a million and one things to do. We have finished shopping, finished laundry, assembled backpacks, sleeping bags, and more... now for the actual packing!

We have been taking it very, very easy as far as schooly stuff goes. Elf continues to comparison shop and keep a running total at the grocery store (math), and reads everything in sight (reading), and in quizzing the Fairy while driving, I found that she really does know all her letter sounds! PHEW! We're listening to A Series of Unfortunate Events: Book the Second: The Reptile Room whenever we are in the car, and at bedtime we are reading one of my personal favorites, Gone Away Lake, which the kids like so much that they asked me to bring it on our campout, to read in the evenings. And, for a slightly embarrassing confession, I have decided it is high time I read Tolkien's books. I love, love, love Lord of the Rings, and can't believe I have never made time to read any of the books, so I am bringing The Hobbit to read early in the mornings while the oatmeal cooks.

I am toying with joining edhelper in the fall, and using their (teacher) lit guides for some of my book choices over the next school year. They have them for nearly every book I want to read with/to the kids next year (or in Elf's case, books I would like him to read). Then I start thinking that none of this is necessary - I have a good, solid plan in place already, even without reading comprehension, etc. Has anyone used any of the teaching guides, and are they useful, or just more clutter?

Anyhow, I must run off and pack. I made packing lists yesterday, and now Elf is very eager to read his as he packs, and Fairy is eager for Elf to read hers aloud as well. Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. We've dialed waaaaay back on the school stuff too. It's time for it to just be summer and relax!

    I loved the LOTR movies, too. But I could never get into the books. I hope that your experience is better!

    Have fun camping!

    =-)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)