...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Summer vacation musings...

So far it's been a lazy week or so, though I can't say it feels very summery since the weather has been on the cooler side until the last couple of days. However, if things continue like yesterday, then I'd say summer is finally here!

What we've been up to... Elf is reading away like always. At my mom's house (his Nonna's house), he is reading Pippi in the South Seas. Here, he's switching back and forth between The Mouse & The Motorcycle, and The Neverending Story. I have yet to make him do any math! However, I've been reading from The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas, and have found lots of clever, easy-to-make/implement math games that I'd like to try out. Games for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, fractions, money, and more!

Fairy is working her way through The Reading Lesson. She seems to finally, really be getting it. I love the format of the book - it is simple, with a clean, clear layout that appeals to both of us. I take it as a very good sign that she brings the book to me, asking for a lesson! I'm not sure yet how far we'll get through it by the end of summer, but any progress is good progress! While she flew through the first lesson, I am trying to take the time to review everything introduced as well.

I'm still reading Ronia, The Robber's Daughter to both, and after that have decided to try Mary Poppins with them. I loved the Mary Poppins series as a child, and both my children love the movie, so I think they may enjoy the books even more. I also really want to start The Borrowers series with them this summer, and Swallows & Amazons. Then there are the Green Knowe books.... so many good books and so little time! I personally am enjoying Sand Daughter, and would definately recommend it for adult leisure reading.

I made my decision about Oak Meadow. While Elf and I want to love OM, it just doesn't sit right with either of us. I can't put my finger on it, and I know that for many, it is an excellent curriculum, just not us, at least not right now. Several people said I was foolish to "give in to" Elf on this one, but I honestly don't have the time or energy to fight my children on homeschooling, nor do I think I should have to. Homeschooling for us, while being educational, should also be enjoyable.

Instead, both kids have expressed an interest in learning American history, and I think right now they are at a great age for all the fun projects out there related to explorers, Colonial times, and so on. I've been looking at THIS with lustful eyes. I figure if we were to go this route, we could easily do the first three units (New World Explorers, Colonial Life, and The American Revolution) over the next year, with time for extra books, etc. I love all the hands-on projects, and both kids have been begging to try lapbooking. I am thinking that we'll give the Explorers a chance, see how we like it. While it isn't completely secular, a few people I've spoken to say it is easy enough to adapt to a secular manner of teaching.

Oh, I almost forgot! I also am running a Flat Stanley project on a homeschooling board. So far, about 30 families in approximately 17 states (and two additional countries) have signed up. The kids and I are going to make a binder of all the states our Flat Children visit, with the state flag, flower, motto, and all on a page per state. A great and fun way to learn some U.S. geography! And we signed up for a local art card exchange, which I need to check on since I haven't heard anything since signing up.

I also want to take the kids on some field trips of our own this summer, like the zoo, an art museum, a cheese factory, and more. Explore our local world!

Other than that, all is about the same. Work is work, our garden is growing, and the kids are enjoying their leisure time. Hope everyone else is having a good summer!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:14 PM

    I used OM off and on too but really only gr1-3 I ordered gr8 & 9 for our older boys and they couldn't stand the math or scsince etc. in the end I think the younger yrs were worth the money just to get ideas etc. but after 3rd gr we went into sonlight for 2 yrs just to have more reading etc. then back to CM & unschooling wladorfy type learning . In the end we like our CM unschool best of all .
    I do feel kids do know what they need , like & want . It is not juts up to us they need be part of choices and this helps them to gain healthy independence & be responsible for choices made .
    I so loved Pippi ! my boys all love the mouse too ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about trying to find the time to read all the books you want to share with your children. I have a list a mile long.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)