...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, June 23, 2011

I'm doing it again, aren't I?

Overplanning that is. Every year I promise myself I will back off on the planning, since we always seem to have a hard time completing all of it (looking at our book lists, gee I wonder why...) Anyhow, the original plan was to focus on the basics and let everything else follow. Instead, I am finding myself spending far too much time planning it all out, week-by-week... 36 weeks worth.

So for now, I am stopping planning. No more planning. I need to stop, re-focus, and remember that exploring the rabbit trails is one of the main reasons we homeschool in the first place! Yes, Cyrus wants to study mythology, and Cassia wants to study children and animals around the world. That doesn't mean I need a spreadsheet detailing every book to read, video to watch, and activity to perform. And planning a whole year at a time is daunting, because our interests do change (I know mine do!), so eventually I end up setting aside everything I worked so hard on in the first place.

I will keep my book lists, as they are extremely handy for future reference... but I think I'll drop the scheduling and see where our passions take us.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:22 AM

    I get the same way when it comes to planning, so you are definitely not alone. But, yes, sometimes a break is needed! Sometimes I known that I have to look and say, "Whoa. Stop. You can let some things just fall into place." LOL

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)