...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Various bits and pieces...

I asked the kids this week what THEY want in homeschooling. What subjects do they want more of? I asked this because we saw the list of classes offered at our old charter school , and Cyrus said maybe he'd like to go back. I have mixed emotions about this... I can understand why my art-and-science guy would want hands-on science and art classes. And that my daughter would enjoy the garden club and ceramics classes offered to her. But at the same time, it makes me feel like... well, that we're lacking in our private school (one of the legal routes here in California.) And it made me wonder if I can address those gaps without going back to the charter school? Since we likely won't be doing 4H this year, I wonder too about the fact that they'll be spending more time with me, and less time with other kids. Of course, part of me says that's not a problem!

And then there is Cassia's reading issue. If we went back to the charter school, I am about 99% sure that they would want her tested and put into special ed for reading. I don't think either she or I want that. I think at the heart of her reading issue is what she so baldly stated a month or two ago, that she doesn't want to read. She has no real interest in it. And no testing or special classes would change that. I did give her a reading test a couple of days ago, and truthfully, she did better than I expected, scoring at a mid first grade level. This means we're making progress! I hope to get her up to a solid second grade level by the end of summer. The Nora Gaydos leveled readers appeal to her, and I've dropped all gimmicky computer instruction in favor of an old standby. Oh, but I do let her play on Starfall, for letter reinforcement.

So with all that, I went back over my plans for fall, and you know what? For once, I didn't change a thing. Not one thing! I think I have all the bases covered for their interests, which are by the way as follows...
Cyrus: Art, science with hands-on stuff, history (because it is pretty cool), and strangely enough, math. Yes, math.
Cassia: nature, stories, and art, and hands-on projects

At Park Day last week, some of the other moms were talking about approaches to homeschooling. They unschool. Every one of them, as far as I know, unless I am missing something. One mom, new to our group, asked if anyone uses curriculum, and yes, I raised my hand. And I explained that my kids both said, independently of one another, that in unschooling for the main part this last year, they felt that they didn't learn enough. They want lessons, books, projects, and more. What followed this proclamation? Dead silence. For at least 20 seconds, and when it is suddenly that quiet, it seems forever!

I have no problem with the theories of unschooling. In fact, I think overall, Cyrus would be a pretty good unschooler. Cassia on the other hand would sit on the couch and watch TV all day if I let her. However, I chose homeschooling as that. Home schooling. And I think my kids are proud of themselves when they get to a new level in math, or happy when they get to create a project that reflects our history education. I'm not saying that unschoolers don't do any of that - I know they do. But unschooling just doesn't work for us. And now I am a freak, but then, I've always been one anyway!

I showed (and read aloud) my proposed units of study for fall. I told the kids what I had to fill in the gaps they felt. And they both said they love the plans! They have missed unit studies (which is how I am dividing up the history and science in the Core Knowledge sequence), and both loved the looks of the Phonics of Drawing (especially Cyrus) so I think it will be a very good year indeed. Except I have to figure out ceramics at home ;)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:29 AM

    When it comes to homeschooling, every family has to find what works for them. I like the fact that your children have input on their homeschooling. After all, they're the ones you are serving as a teacher and parent!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)