...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is my head in the sand?

Seriously, with all the research I have done on various homeschooling methods, how did I not know about Math Journaling? A few links in case you are unfamiliar with it as well...

Why Math Journals?
Math Journals & Other Math Ideas for Primary Teachers
Blog, She Wrote's fantastic math journal posts
Math Notebooking

Okay, you probably get the idea by this time.

We've been using Teaching Textbooks, and yes, it works. And, until recently, both kids liked it. I have been having some trouble getting Cricket to sit down for it, but I just chalk that up to her being Cricket. Then, last week, we didn't do any TT. And yesterday, I got Life of Fred Apples and Fractions in the mail. It was as if TT didn't even exist! Cricket sat down with me, and we went through the first two chapters of LOF Apples. Then she spent half an hour making up additional problems for herself, telling me "Look Mommy, I am good at math!", while Bug and I got through the first chapter in LOF Fractions. It was marvelous! There were giggles galore, and lots of problem solving. Once they were in bed, and I had my hot cup of tea ready, I snuggled down in my bed and flipped through Family Math, which I have owned for years and never made use of (ducking head in shame). So many cool math ideas!

So now I am thinking... math journaling! Math journals, using LOF, Family Math, and other fun living math books as jumping off points. It is definitely worth a try. We don't use any other textbooks - math has been our last sticking point, and I would like to encourage real-life, applicable, hands-on, creative mathematical thinking! I'd highly suggest reading through Blog, She Wrote's wonderful math journal posts to see living math in action. I love too that she is able to make similar math activities work across a range of ages. I'll hold onto TT in the meantime just in case, but truthfully, it was getting that I kind of resented the program for taking away that time with my kids... And as a backup for more problem sets, I do own the entire Math Mammoth Blue series (topical downloads).

4 comments:

  1. We own Math on the Level and follow a similar Living Math approach as Blog She Wrote. We don't do as much "journaling" as the kids are only 6 and 4, but we love, love, love doing math this way. We do games, math literature, and hands-on activities. My daughter always picks it first. If you are not a member of the Living Math Yahoo group there are tons of great resources there too. Enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gillian,

    Just wanted to say thanks for the shout out on our math journals.

    I hope you enjoy seeing your math come alive!

    Heather
    (Blog, She Wrote)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fabulous, G! I'll send my girls right over. If only I had that much gumption to make math so fun. Great job mom. Trying very hard not to look at math journals.... sigh, so much great stuff out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just like I am trying not to look at all the stuff you mention on your blog? ;)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)