...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, January 13, 2012

Week in Review, 1/9-1/13...

We are finally "back in school" and had a good week to start off with!

Language Arts...

Bug worked on spelling, using The Natural Speller and a homemade worksheet. I have decided, to save myself time and effort, that we'll simply use the same format on binder paper in the future. I had him alphabetize the words on day one, write them each twice on day two, and write sentences for them on days three and four, with day five being test day.

He worked on a lesson in Igniting Your Writing, and did some free writing about cars, a major passion in his life. He also did some copywork from Treasure Island, and did a beautiful job! There were a couple of minor mistakes on the first try, so I had him go back and correct them.

He continued to read from the Percy Jackson series, and is eagerly awaiting another Jeff Kinney book, Cabin Fever, which we ordered just this week. I imagine that the day it arrives, we'll have a hard time getting him to sleep at all!

Cricket and I focused on reading, which will remain the focus of her language arts for the time being. She read from The Bug in the Jug Wants a Hug, and made word families based off of her reading, and reviewed several stories in The Reading Lesson. She completed a lesson in Explode the Code, aced her spelling test (also in ETC), and started a new unit (review).


Math...
For our "regular" math, we used mostly Math Mammoth this week, with a little Developmental Mathematics thrown in at Cricket's request. Bug focused on understanding division, and did a worksheet on converting measurements and estimating. Cricket worked on adding hundreds and tens, as well as some measurement work, and another 100 chart (good practice).

For our other, living math, we read Measuring Penny and made these really cool GallonBots, which are now hanging in my kitchen. Cricket helped measure ingredients for cooking, and Bug estimated our grocery bill, adding in each item as we shopped.

History...
This was the week of the Big Bang! We read a little in Voyages Through Time: The Beginning and then we read Big Bang. We watched Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking (episode 3 to be specific)... and we talked a lot about space, emptiness, planets, suns, the earth, and so on. Next week we're studying the formation of the earth, and then we'll move into fossils and archeology.

Science...
Well, we started out with a unit in life sciences from The Lab of Mr. Q, but it just didn't really suit us. I figured we were getting plenty of science with history this week, so I dropped it. Instead, I have decided on a return to Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. I have gone through my flow chart, crossed off all the topics we're familiar with, combined others, etc. I really like the looks of the second volume for next fall, so we're using this to gear up for that! I got a great idea from a message board to incorporate notebooking with BFSU, which is to put in dividers labeled with the four threads in the book, then add narrations, drawings, lab sheets, etc. to those sections as we go - a fun weekend project for me to set it up!

Nature Studies...
We're reading a very informative, and delightful, book called The Moon of the Moles. The illustrations are lovely, and both kids are enjoying the story as well. We'll probably wrap this up next week, and then start The Moon of the Owls. We're also reading from The Tarantula in My Purse, which is simply hilarious!

Next week I really hope to get into the swing of Outdoor Hour Challenges again. I signed up for the free newsletter, so we get a challenge emailed to us weekly. I think we might be able to do that on Thursdays, since that afternoon is clear from anything else at the moment.


Other...
We listened to some Schubert. We made a casserole for a sick friend and her family. We had a blast, as always, at our park day. We continued reading from The Hobbit and I read from The Sisters Grimm: The Fairy Tale Detectives to Cricket (I think Bug was listening in as well)...

No fancy weekend plans, just a nice quiet time at home. I have three days off which is quite nice! Don't forget to go over and check out more homeschool weekly wrap-ups at

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:47 AM

    You guys are moving right along, just like us! Hmm, I think my son might be old enough to try the Percy Jackson books...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was too funny, "I think Cyrus was listening in as well) - James used to pretend to shun "little girl books" but I'd often catch him listening in when I'd read to Eleanor. He loved the Percy Jackson books too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a beautiful first week back!

    We have a plain old "Mr. Gallon" whose body looks like a milk jug which the kids have referred to often, but hose Gallonbots are much cooler!

    I'm planning to check out your history resources, and you nature study Mole book as well. They look great.

    Keep up the good work! We're still not back in the groove after vacation, so right now you're my inspiration! No pressure there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great gallonbots!! Love those. And yes, Percy Jackson & Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are hard for them to put down. DS10 recently got into the Alex Rider series and it is impossible to get him to STOP reading......(said with a grin)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a wonderful week. Good for you making a casserole for someone in their time of need. I loved what you did with spelling. I will have to check them out again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You blog looks great! I love seeing all the books you're reading - what fun!

    Regena

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son is eagerly awaiting Cabin Fever, too.

    I've been thinking about doing the Outdoor Challenges....hmmm....I'll have to see if I can fit them into my week now or make a plan to start later. Thanks for the reminder about them. I hope you will post about what you do with the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your week looks wonderful. Thanks for the book recommendations. I just reserved a couple of the The in of the .. books from my library. I think my girls would enjoy them. Your gallon bots are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Developmental Mathematics has been very helpful for our 2 sons and they are doing great in school.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)