...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Borrowing a post topic...

from Athena Academy. Thanks!

Our Homeschooling Who, What, When, Where, Why and How

Who: I am the primary teacher, curriculum planner, etc. M is the hands-on project guy and general support. Elf is my 8 year old, train-car-plane-space-robot-Lego loving 3rd grader, and Fairy is my 6 year old, fairy-music-dancing-dirt-worshipping 1st grader.

What: We use what is called an "eclectic" approach. I take bits and pieces from various disciplines - Charlotte Mason, classical education via The Well Trained Mind, and the more Waldorf-inspired Oak Meadow. I use Oak Meadow as a base curriculum, Charlotte Mason for the nature-friendly, short lesson approach, and classical ed in that we are doing a modified version of the history/science rotation, alongside Oak Meadow & the state's history/science focuses. We did meander away from it, but are meandering back. They'll study history and science together for at least the next few years, though I think I may split them when Elf reaches 6th grade. For more on our history and science rotations, go here.

My kids follow a lot of their own interests too. Elf is interested in dragons, robotics and tap right now, while Fairy is all about cooking, dancing, and Olivia at the moment.

When: All along so far. My kids have never really been to school, though they do attend some classes at a charter school through which we are enrolled as a Home Study family. We decided on homeschooling before we even had kids. M had poor experiences in school, and I wasn't too fond of it either. Plus with budget cuts, large class sizes, a lack of focus on arts and sciences... the list could go on and on. Homeschooling is just where it is at for us.

Why: To allow a very individualized education for both our children. To allow them to move at their own rates, spend more time on something they love, and less on things that they don't. Plus, I love being the one that gets to see the moment when they realize something, or figure it out.

How: Well, we sit down and do lessons! Seriously - we spend some time at the kitchen table, some on the couch, some in the chair-and-a-half. We read aloud, do hands-on projects, do copywork, work through math lessons... I try to do as much as I can with both kids at the same time, in the interest of saving time, but I split them up for language arts (though I found yesterday that having Elf so math at the same table Fairy and I are doing language arts at worked well).

And there you have it!

4 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Foursquare Schoolhouse to say hello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny that our inspiration comes from similar sources. I definitely considered Oak Meadow in the beginning, but only decided not to do it due to the cost. I think it is one of the most lovely homeschooling curriculum/methods out there.

    Thanks for sharing your inspiration and methods. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only afford to use it because our charter school provides it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your comment at Living and Learning and the title of your blog intrigued me. My son is really into robotics too. And I also decided to homeschool before I had kids! Good to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)