...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Homeschooling Stereotypes...

Borrowed from another blog...

There's a bit of a long-standing stereotype that homeschool Moms :

drive mini-vans
Nope. Though I am considering an old Volvo. You know, a station wagon!

wear denim jumpers
I have not worn a denim jumper since maybe 3rd grade? Had a denim jumpsuit too (okay, it was the 70's!)

Turtlenecks
Occasionally, if it's really cold outside. But very rarely.

Sneakers
If you count Converse, which yes, are sneakers.

and have long hair
I did until I chopped it off.

often in braids or ponytails
When it was long, I almost always wore it in a ponytail. Now I only occasionally do.

I've also heard that we are all vegetarians
Off and on, yes.

strict fundamentalist Christians
Not so much.

Hippies
Guess so!

wear dresses to our ankles
I like dresses, but generally they are impractical for me.

never watch TV
Ummm.... yeah. As if. Yes, we watch TV!

don't allow our kids out of the house during school hours
Considering most of our outside activities are during "school hours", they're out a LOT!

keep our drapes closed during the day
No, because I like natural light!

3 comments:

  1. I remember this list!

    It is so funny. Some of the items seem mutually exclusive to me (how can one be a strict fundamentalist Christian AND a hippie? I guess these are the 2 ends of the spectrum people always assume when it comes to homeschoolers).

    Well, we're off to do things during school hours... (Ooooh!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. going out during school hours is nice, we miss all the crowds, in fact, we are heading out to the beach at 11 today, right during normal school!

    I do drive a mini van, but I have to haul at least 5 kids so my choices are limited...I wish I had a jeep with cow spotted seat covers..sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy! I consider myself to be sortof a strict fundamentalist Christian but also a hippie! The first describes beliefs, the second more our lifestyle/choices. :)

    Stealing this for my own blog today! Will link back to you.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)