...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, October 12, 2009

A fresh week and a fresh start...

We kind of forgot about homeschooling last week. Too busy cleaning the house, getting over headaches (me), putting log rounds in a circle around our backyard firepit, tearing out all the annuals that were done, just too busy in general. I think we "hit the books" twice.

So today is the beginning of a new week, and so we're starting fresh. I have my plans for the week all made out, and it looks like Wednesday will be the only really-busy-day-with-no-chance-to-homeschool (art classes, pumpkin patch field trip, Fairy's new midlevel dance class). This afternoon - afternoons are our best homeschooling time - we have: language arts (which includes phonics and spelling); math; history; and handwriting planned. Tomorrow will be the same, except we'll have science instead of history!

For me, having the house clean actually really helps. I feel more motivated in general to keep it that way, and do other things, like fun projects with the kids, because I am not bogged down in "oh, my house is a dreadful mess". Chore charts are helping too! Right now I am debating - start our long waited Greek vases? Make cookies? Cook up a batch of playdough and put some pumpkin pie spice in it? Hmmmm.... the possibilities are endless, except that I have a class at 6 today, and a paper to finish editing. Maybe we should just do our lessons and see what happens from there!

I am trying really hard to better manage time, driving, etc., as well. We've been doing two field trips a month, on Wednesdays. I am now (starting in November) going with ONE field trip a month, on Mondays. The kids don't want to give up any activities, so we're just not adding any more at all. I'm moving my once-a-month Global Arts and Crafts class from a Wednesday afternoon to a Tuesday morning, since on first of the month Tuesdays, we don't have to be anywhere else. I am also finally - yes, it has taken me this long - using the calendar M got me for Christmas last year, which has room to write all our activities, so I can see them all laid out.

Maybe there is something to organization? Have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. We pretty much let school slide last week, too. And today, as well. (the first snowfall of the year!) I'm hoping tomorrow will be our fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tend to homeschool in the afternoons as well. It just works out better that way!

    Organization... I've got homeschooling organized. Now if only I could get my own work organized. Heh.

    I'm with you on keeping the house clean. If I let it slide, I feel awful. Keeping up with it makes me feel better and freer to do other things (fun things)!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)