...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, October 19, 2009

Wow, another week has passed!

We were a bit better last week about getting some lessons done. And we have goals set for this week, so all should be well there. I am redoing the chore charts I made to have morning chores and afternoon chores, and I am adding dance practice (10 minutes a day) to both kids' academic charts. Yes, I know it isn't really academic, but they're supposed to practice - it was given to them as "homework", and homework is academic, right? See, I do use logic, though it may be a bit twisted sometimes. Speaking of dance classes, Fairy is really enjoying her new higher level class - still mixed tap and ballet. She says it is more challenging, but really enjoyable. And she says while she loves dance, gymnastics is her passion (yes, she said passion). So maybe, just maybe, I'll find a way to put her in regular gymnastics classes in January, instead of just taking her to drop-in homeschool gymnastics, which is still pretty good as it is with the same instructors, etc. she would have in the "real" classes.

I came out of my bedroom this morning to find Elf reading Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days, so that he could "see how other kids homeschool". I thought it was funny, because that is why I bought the book, and why I read other homeschooling blogs! Fairy said she'll stick with reading Bob Books for now. And I finally am getting it... I have been semi-panicking at her lack of ability to connect letter names and sounds with printed matter, but she can read the Bob Books, so I think she's learning much the same way I did, many, many years ago... by memorizing the books and then figuring out which word is which. If it works, then I guess all is okay, though I am stubbornly keeping on with phonics and letter work.

Going to be a busy week. Today was roller skating, and I have a class this evening. Tmorrow, Strega Nonna on stage, and 4H Engineering. Wednesday art and gardening classes, Friday is gymnastics and Park Day. Saturday, maybe a science workshop, and Sunday a Halloween party. I have my witch costume all ready to go, and the kids are going to be zombie pirates! Halloween is probably our all-time favorite holiday. Who doesn't like an excuse to be someone, or something, else for a day?

Oh, and my kids are questioning me about magic and paganism. I blame the book Wizardology entirely, as Elf has been reading it to Fairy. I have dabbled in it myself off and on for years, to the point that we still celebrate the change of seasons and full moons, so maybe this is a sign I should dabble a little more?

3 comments:

  1. LOL - as soon as we get into medieval times, I'm taking Wizardology out of our library!

    I hope you will post photos of the Elf and Fairy as zombie pirates. How cool! My nephews were zombie skateboarders one year.

    I love how creative children are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep celebrating full moons, seasons and more in nature. But don't dabble in widardology. It is only a imitation of the real deal. We are reading Catherine Voss's The Childs' Story Bible and it is amazing and eye-opening. There is so much I never knew about TRUE MAGIC. I realized that everything else is a cheap copy. If you and your kids want to experience power and a love for creation, check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wizardology is so the "real deal" when it comes to paganism for kids....you should totally incorporate the book into your kid's lesson plans, I myself used the book for my own unschooling...another great resource is the Wizardology Workbook, by the same author.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)