...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Finally....

Elf learned to read really easily, at age 5, and now at almost 9 can read at a 6th-7th grade level, but Fairy has been a whole other kind of learner. I ended up backing off for a while because it was clear she wasn't ready. BUT, recently she has been asking to learn, and we've been sitting down daily to work together.

I'm using a combination approach - she watches (and works along with) some (cheesy) phonics videos from the late 70's/early 80's, she works on Starfall, and we're working with ETC and Bob Books, and I read aloud to her (and her brother) a lot. In the last week, I have watched her develop a much better sense of beginning sounds, ending sounds, etc. She has learned to write more than just her name now, having added "Mommy", "Daddy", and a few others to her repetoire. I can see her making the connections that just weren't happening before, like yesteday, working in ETC, she had to circle the beginning, middle, and ending sounds for a variety of 3 letter words, and she DID it, then sounded them out! Believe me, that is the first time that has been so effortless for her. She still can't tell you the names of letters (not all of them anyway), but I really don't care about that if she is able to read.

I am soooo relieved to see some progress, so I couldn't resist sharing!

OTOH, I'm a basket case now trying to figure out which of two curriculum approaches to take next year! Part of the problem is that I like bits and pieces of one (Oak Meadow), but want to maintain the flow of history we've been doing.... hmmmmm.... Then too, I would end up substituting books and supplementing Oak Meadow, but with the classical/Charlotte Mason method, I do have to put it together myself.... Maybe I just need to keep this post in mind! In regards to that, I am researching history "spines" other than Story of the World (which my kids just can't seem to enjoy). Among my library holds, I have A Little History of the World, and A Child's History of the World. If you have read either of these and have some feedback to share, I'd certainly appreciate it!

I'm also planning ahead for some light summer schooling. I'd like my kids to have some idea of American history, even before we get there in the flow of history, so I thought we'd read through at least some of the volumes of The American Story. We'll play some math games on a somewhat regular basis, Elf will have some reading to do, and I'll continue working with Fairy on her reading skills.

1 comment:

  1. I did Oak Meadow with my daughter for preschool to grade one. I found it was really great for teaching reading skills. I think, that if you have a little fairy who enjoys a great story, and loves drawing, Oak Meadow is fantastic, but it is really weak in other areas, (like History, Math, Science) I would recommend buying the Oak Meadow readers, and getting the Fairy Tale book, (for teaching letters), and the Word Family book...I know when I ordered it, I just chose what I wanted and left out the bulk of the curriculum.

    I know that from year to year we are always pondering curriculums, wondering what to do next, so I totally relate to the curriculum conundrum!

    Sparkles
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)