...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Musings...

I think, if you haven't already, that you should visit my friend Jessica's beautiful blog, and read her thought provoking essays under the Clarity tab (or by following my provided link!). She really sums up many of the feelings I have been having about homeschooling lately.

I'll make a confession... while I had loads of plans for this year, we haven't been getting to much of it... there are too many other things to do! But, I can't say I've noticed any downside to not doing it. My kids still seem to be thriving, and are enjoying the time to follow their own interests. In that light, I've deleted my curriculum page, and replaced it with a page on educational goals. I find that what we end up using does not always follow what I had planned, there are too many rabbit trails! For example, I had books all planned for Cyrus to read this year, but instead he picked up my very battered childhood copy of The Wizard of Oz, and read 6 chapters in the last two days. I can't tell him no, that's not the right book!

There are things we are using regularly right now that we're enjoying, and learning from. Among these are Grammar Land: Or Grammar in Fun for the Children of Schoolroom-Shire... and yes, after the first chapter both kids can tell you what a proper versus common noun means. And we're giving Math Mammoth a try, using the Blue Series so we can focus on particular topics. Right now they're on the couch together being fascinated by a pile of old ZooBooks my mom's neighbor (a former homeschooler!) gave them. We pile up in the chair-and-a-half a lot for reading... last night they really enjoyed Sir Cumference and the First Round Table. And they do enjoy Mr Q's Earth Science!

There are other topics I would like to explore with them... I recently came across the author David M. Carroll, and I could see us really enjoying some of his books. I would love to find a good, narrative version of American history for them... I keep considering Hakim's History of US, or Mara Pratt's (much older) American History Stories. But I am never quite satisfied with them. Any suggestions? I think the kids would enjoy the Story of Science (also Hakim). And I know we like A Little History of the World, so I may read that to them in another year. In addition to all the reading, Cyrus would love to try lapbooking. He has a number of books with flaps, envelopes, and so forth, and loves them. Making one for himself would be a great experience, so we'll definately give that a try, but instead of assigning a subject about which he is to make the lapbook, I plan to let him decide. Or maybe I'll finally put that copy of New World Explorers into use!

Other than all that, I am enjoying the last few days of my two week break from work. I can't say it will be easy going back either! I also came to the conclusion that although it will take an extra semester, I will apply for the online credentialing program. I can't see working, going to class a few days a week, homeschooling, AND volunteering 6 hours a week in a school (part of credentialing). That would be too much, even for me! ;) Instead, with the online credentialing, I only have to go to a class a couple of times a semester (maybe only once?), and the rest is self-paced to a point. I can do that!

Edited to add: Had a great moment recently. I filed our Private School Affidavit (one of the legal homeschooling options in California), and it felt fantastic! I'll admit, I felt nervous doing it... was I doing it right? Would they come after me for mistakes? But overall, it was a very good feeling. I did go back right before submitting it, to make one last change, changing my kids from second and fourth graders to ungraded elementary. I'm such a geek, to get so excited about doing something that a number of my friends have been doing for years!

3 comments:

  1. Homeschooling is all about making changes and going with what works.

    And, I just have to say... we have a chair-and-a-half too! It's too big for our current living room, and the 3 of us don't fit in it together anymore, but oh what a lot of great books we read in that chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the blog love...I haven't gotten many visitors lately (partly b/c I stopped posting on Facebook via Networked Blogs). It's nice to know someone was reading my posts--I toiled over them for so long, it's rewarding to know they actually meant something to someone!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I had a few "plans" this year as well. But now I am seeing more and more just how well unschooling works. My son has been in the hospital for most of 1st grade yet he's continued to improve in his reading and math skills. It's really helped me to let go and fall comfortably into the unschooling lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)