...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Today's discovery...

Cyrus has been reading this book...
And really enjoying it, so I went ahead and read through it myself. I'll admit, I learned a lot... about the Wright brothers, engineering, horsepower, etc. Then, looking at the cover more carefully, I noticed it is a "Landmark Book". So I went to Amazon and typed in a search for Landmark Books. I am amazed at what I found! So many books on so many historical events and figures! I am surprised I didn't find these before.

Thankfully, my library carries many of these titles, so I am adding to our American history read alouds, with titles like:

The Story of the Thirteen Colonies
Ben Franklin of Old Philadelphia
Liberty! How the Revolutionary War Began

And there are tons more! I love new finds, even when those new finds are old things. These books are easy to read, simply and clearly written, and tell everything in a story format - all of my children's favorite things in a book.

And just for fun, some great links to Living Book Lists...

History
A Charlotte Mason Approach to History
Paula's Archives: History
A Book in Time

Science
Applie's Place: A Living Book List for Science
Paula's Archives: Science
Readable Science: An Incomplete Book List

Math
Living Math Books & Mathematical Classics
Building a Children's Math Library
Living Math Book List

1 comment:

  1. We have gotten a lot out of Landmark books. We're finished with them now, but they were a great part of our homeschooling.

    Word verification is: tosoar

    How appropriate!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)