...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, April 22, 2011

Writing... updated

Since I am in planning mode (wait... when am I not in planning mode?) I am researching writing programs for Cyrus (and kind of for Cassia).

Right now, I am looking at Writing Strands, level 3 and Igniting Your Writing, level 1. Both are written to the student, both have some humor in the instructions (important for Cyrus), and both start with the basics. I do like that Igniting Your Writing offers three levels of writing within one book, but then I swear in one sample I saw somewhere it was quoting the Bible, and we definitely prefer secular resources, although I can't find that sample now.

Hmmm... any feedback on either of these programs? People either seem to love or hate Writing Strands with no in-between, and I haven't read a lot of feedback on Igniting. Other programs I have considered or am considering include IEW's Themed Writing--All Things Fun & Fascinating looks pretty neat, as does Ancient History-based Writing Lessons--and Wordsmith Apprentice.

I am glad I am thinking about this now, since it gives me time to decide!


Ha! I have decided. I spent a good chunk of my evening yesterday looking through every sample I could find, and decided, with Cyrus's help, on Igniting Your Writing, level 1. I love that it has several levels within each level (beginning, intermediate, advanced), that it is written primarily to the student, and that it will teach him writing skills while allowing for a lot of creativity. Now I just need a student thesaurus! I am now switching over to more intensive planning for Cassia, a lot of which will depend on her reading level by next fall. I think for her I will probably stick with Primary Language Lessons since it is very gentle and I already bought part one from Cynce's Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)