...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Some resources for our next school year...

Well, okay, this fall. I've been browsing coloring books, activity books, and more. Here are some of the ones I've found that look interesting (the links are the pictures)....





Here's a biology workbook I just might have to get. And it's only $3.22. We have a very good microscope, so I think a lot of the "experiments" would work well for us.






Here's one that would work well with our animal studies. The book we'll be using as a spine for this part, The Animal Encyclopedia for Children, is also divided by habitat, so I think the two will mesh nicely.







And here's the one I'm considering for our ancient Egypt studies. I'm still eying the Dover one too, but this one looks a little simpler and easier for the kids.









This one looks interesting too, but I'm not sure how much of it we'd use, since I think our studies of prehistoric man will be somewhat limited. Of course, it is less than $3, so it may be worthwhile.


Of course, there are more. I am considering ones on Ancient Greece, Ancient China, Ancient Rome, the Mayan culture... as well as insects, trees, plant life. Too many resources out there!

I've basically outlined our science studies to follow the suggested pattern in WTM, but naturally I've tweaked it a bit. I think we'll start with 2 weeks of studying the basic cell structure, ending with making a Jello cell model. Thank you to hsmomof3 for that idea! After that, I plan to go through the aforementioned Animal Encyclopedia, spending two weeks on each region. Then, we'll move on to human anatomy for the late winter, maybe for 5 weeks. Then on to plants, which includes planting a butterfly garden in early spring. Plant biology will also go about 5 weeks. For the final 5 weeks of our "school" year, we'll study insects, including growing and releasing ladybugs and butterflies. While I do plan to buy the intact ladybug kit, I think for the butterfly one, I'll have the kids help me build a mesh-cage, and collect the appropriate food, and then just order the "refill" of caterpillars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)