...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Finally, an update...

Thought there's not much to report! It's been a slow week, and we honestly haven't gotten much done, school-wise. We have gone to a buddy gymnastics day, started cleaning the house for Thanksgiving company, gotten M's arm in a proper cast, and so on, but we really only hit the books on Tuesday. I do have lessons planned for today (phonics/spelling, math and science) to finish off a few things for the week, but that's about it! I found a website with free printable grammar lessons, so we'll start with nouns on Monday.

I have been working on choosing my classes for the spring semester at the community college, as I can register in just over a week. Biology, more advanced algebra, world history, and maybe an online typing/keyboarding class. I am trying to get my typing speed up, as this is one of the major things administrative jobs look for, and I honestly can not stay working for a grocery store forver, or even the next few years while I finish college and credentialing. Anyhow, it looks to be a busy semester, but manageable.

I am also trying to reorganize our homeschooling lessons. I have ordered (well, the charter school ordered) a couple of actual science workbooks for Elf. Each one has 10 units - one book is biology and one is chemistry. I asked around on several message boards about these, because I had heard yes they were secular, no they weren't... eventally I got enough good feedback to try Real Science 4 Kids. We ordered the pre-level ones that are supposed to be good for 1st-2nd grade. I did like the sample pages I viewed online. Anyhow, I need to really be a little more diligent about hitting all our subjects each week. We;ll go for a couple of weeks without touching certain books, and then I feel like we're behind, which we aren't really, but it feels that way. So, I am looking back over my plans, and trying to actually incoporate them into our homeschool days.

In other news, M and I are celebrating our 12th anniversary this weekend (it's technically Monday). Twelve years.... I won't say it has all been an easy ride, but definately worthwhile! We're just going to go out to dinner tonight, by ourselves.

Have a good weekend!

3 comments:

  1. happy anniversary, sorry to hear about m's arm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary!!

    I'd love to take a look at RS4K one of these days. I was really curious about that too. People on WTMS seem dead set against it - and I can't blame them based on the website - but so often people just get scared over nothing.

    Anyway, glad to see an update.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary!!! Around my neck of the woods just being able to go for dinner the two of us would be an amazing treat!
    Here's to many many more years!
    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)