...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, November 1, 2007

I've been so bad about blogging....

So I'll try to catch up! Happy Halloween btw, a day late!
As far as school work goes, we've been keeping on track with math, phonics, spelling and our apple mummification, but all the "extras" have kind of gone by the wayside this week. We started a small unit on measurements in math for Elf, and his IST loaned us a bunch of new manipulatives to help with number placement as well. We finished Lesson 5 in ETC and Fairy has just wrapped up her section on "m" sounds. I hope to get a fresh start back up now that Halloween is over, since we took that day off.

Our Halloween was really fun. The kids got up early, had their oatmeal and jumped into costume. Elf was Optimus Prime (a Transformer just in case you don't know) and Fairy was Snow White. My sister bought their costumes early this year, and they were great costumes:
Elf's charter school (or as he called it last week, his "homeschool school") had a Fall Festival in the morning, with scarecrow building, apple peeling & slicing (with those neat spiral slicers where you just turn a handle), corn grinding, fresh hot apple cider, beading, pumpkin carving, and a snack from the garden. I can't say I particularly care for rice flour crust on a pizza, and neither did the kids, but oh well. Despite an extra layer under their costumes, the kids and I were unfortunately freezing all morning, and it made Fairy cranky, and Elf whiny, but we managed to have some fun.

After that, we headed off to pick up dinner stuff, and then home for some hot lunch... bean-cheese-&-tomato tostadas, which are the kids' new favorite lunch. The kids took their costumes off and played in the yard for a while once the sun came out. Then, back into costume and down to visit my dad!

We wound up the day by going out trick-or-treating, both around our block and around several blocks over near my mom's house, while M stayed home to hand out candy. Last year, at the apartment, we had no trick-or-treaters at all, which was a big disappointment, but this year, in our new neighborhood, we had a flood of them.

Oh, and here are our jack o' lanterns, at the kids' request. Elf carved his own, all by himself this year, and Fairy carved a fair bit of hers. I'm pretty happy with how my own turned out too!
Elf's goblin pumpkin
Fairy's princess pumpkin
My oak leaves and acorns pumpkin

3 comments:

  1. Oh that fall festival sounds fun! I was mean and made the kids do school anyway, lol. I wasn't even nice enough to plan ahead and get mazes or dot-to-dots on Halloween or pumpkins or bats or anything from Enchanted Learning. Just plain old boring regular stuff. LOL. Cameron actually protested and said, "but it's Halloween!" but I told him that since the public school kids had to go to school today, so did he.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where you were! I missed your posts.

    That fall festival sounded like it rocked the cornfield. Awesome.

    And the pumpkins look so pretty! Thanks for sharing the pictures .... and giving me ideas for carving next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, did I mention that I *love* your house? It's really fabulous... lots of room, lots of yard, good floor plan. It's really a great house. Congratulations, again. :)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)