...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, November 8, 2007

Gee, last night was fun...

Ha ha. Actually, it pretty well sucked. I got home from class (algebra), dinner was ready to be served... so far so good. The kids were even already in pajamas! But then, Elf decided to go outside to see his glow-in-the-dark skeleton pajamas glow, and M followed him to get him back in at the dinner table. M, walking across the dark yard, slipped in a pile of leaves he had raked up a couple of hours earlier, fell, and broke his left wrist. Instead of having dinner with my family, I left the kids at home with E, and spent 3 and a half hours in the ER with M, waiting, listening to a drunk 17 year old kid get a Tazer dart pulled out of his shoulder, waiting, waiting... you get the picture. I am just glad E lives with us and could take care of the children for me. When we lived out of county a while back, M cut his thumb in his shop, and I had to drag the kids to the hospital with us, and amuse them in an ER waiting room for a few hours.

Anyhow, long story short, he fractured (into several pieces) the rounded end of one arm bone (radius) right at the wrist. He's in a splint now, getting a cast next week. Unfortunately, my job is running late on getting my benefit paperwork to me, so we don't have insurance for the adults in this family at this point, and M will be missing some work, but we'll get through it, and I think my insurance will be retroactive to October.

In regular household news, I got Elf and Fairy started on some memorization work today from the Treasury of Children's Poetry, which I picked up on sale for $3 two years ago and have barely opened. I thought we'd start small, with "Jack be nimble, etc.", and I gave it to Elf for his copywork. I'll have to post a picture as he did a lovely job. Then on to math, where Elf filled in the blanks on ____ + a given number = 10, or vice versa: a given number + ____ = 10. He got 25 of 25 right! Of course, a lot of them are repeats (no other way to have 25), but I guess that's the point of a drill page. We also did 3 pages in ETC, then read Chapter 5 in SOTW, after which I had him give me a narration of the chapter. In the meantime, Fairy worked on her HWOT book, her Meeting book, her ETC primer, and had a lot of math manipulatives play. She also listened in on SOTW and had her own points to add to the narration.

I had really hoped to head to a park day tomorrow, but I don't think we'll make it this time. My SUV is leaking oil all over my driveway, and my brother can't look at it until Saturday. I've been driving my mom's car, but it goes in for new tires tomorrow. I also have loads of housework to catch up on, homework to finish (political Science & algebra), and some homeschooling stuff to get the kids through. Maybe I'll do a fun art project with them in the afternoon instead. Oh, and speaking of art, I again had a great time as the teacher's assistant for Elf's art class this week! I got to direct the kids (15 this time, in small groups) in making leaf prints with tempura paint.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, sounds like you had a rough day. I've been whining a lot lately about having to have a PPO instead of my beloved Kaiser HMO, but you just made me realize that I should be thankful for what we do have. And did you know there's an Urgent Care in RP that's open until like 9? I'm pretty sure they do x-rays and all. We went there last Friday afternoon and were in and out in about an hour.

    I hope your weekend is better, that M heals quickly and doesn't miss too much work, and that you get a minute to relax a little! Oh and I was sorry to hear that the job at the good grocery store isn't going to work out.

    See you Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeez, I am sorry to hear about what happened. I hope you are able to settle this incident with the insurance when you get the paperwork from your job. How's M feeling now? It seems like it was a complicated fracture.
    I hope your car problems are over now.
    Mercedes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, remember me? (I've been MIA online for a while. Crazy life.)

    Yikes about the wrist. I hope he feels better soon!!!

    And living with relatives definitely can be a plus sometimes. Glad it's working out.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)