...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Can someone clarify this for me?

With all the recent hoopla about homeschooling in California, I'll admit I am confused. According to the released court documents, it sounds like even going through a public charter school homestudy program may not be a legal option as my kids are not in school all day. Anyone have any clues as to what is actually being said and/or done?

In other news, I got my letter of acceptance this morning to the college program I really, really want and am very excited about! Yiiipppppeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Now I just need the financial aid part to come through....

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (I had to edit the thing and accidentally deleted it. Oy.)

    You read that correctly. In a nutshell: The judge ruled that homeschooling is illegal unless the parent is credentialed. (I think that deeper reading of the document also says it has to be the right grade, but I can't remember.) So, yes, he invalidated all umbrella/charter schools as well.

    The actual laws have NOT changed. Everything is still the same. Nothing has been implemented or set in motion to eliminate our rights just yet. CHN, HSLDA, and CHEA are urging everyone to be calm and go about life as usual, though we should try and join a group to "protect" ourselves legally and also show some solidarity with our fellow homeschoolers.

    The family is going to appeal this ruling at the state supreme court.

    Meanwhile, a petition is being created to depublish the ruling, which means the ruling would ONLY work for that one family. And we could just go about our education as usual.

    So, right now, we're all in just wait-and-see mode, even if I am very, very, very ticked off by such a horrible ruling and the fact that I have to even think about some fool trying to tell me how to educate my children.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go read the HSC website and join their e-list (you don't have to be a member to do so). They're calm, confident, and rational about the whole thing.

    And no, I don't think public school charters count. Your kids are enrolled in public school. It's the private ISPs that are the issue. The issue being that you have to "attend" the private school and if it's a distance learning thing you're not actually attending. *roll eyes*

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)