...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Today is....

officially the first day of a new season, so...

HAPPY SPRING!

The kids are happily devouring lavender-lemon muffins as I type. Never tried this recipe before, but to me it sounded spring-like, and they're actually pretty tasty. Then tonight I plan on making a spring-veggie-chicken stir fry.

Yesterday I met with Elf and Fairy's IST, and she gave me her older version of Oak Meadow K and 1st grade. Lots of good ideas in those, specifically for language arts, that I plan to use, though I'll be sticking with the math, history, and science that we're doing now. I also like some of the ideas in the crafts book. I thought for the remainder of this school year, I would go through the K language arts with Fairy, about 2-3 letters a week. Then in the fall, I'll use the 1st grade language arts for her, bolstered with ETC. I'm also switching to unit studies for science & social studies in the fall. I think the unit study approach works best for my kids, and I want them to really enjoy the process of education.

The IST also said I am welcome to get in some volunteer hours/observation hours in her classroom for my teaching credential, which is very helpful. I am really excited about the program I am starting in the fall! The first semester of the degree completion program is called Identity and Society, which "explores the interplay of the internal and external forces that shape the self. We consider everything from Descartes and genetics to Taoism and ethnic literature."

Oh, and I took another homeschooling style quiz, but had trouble posting the results, so here they are cut-&-pasted:

You're a "Relaxed" Homeschooler

You kind of do it all....you teach through conversation, you may purchase an "all-in-one" curriculum for the child's entire school year, you may even design your OWN curriculum. Whatever floats your boat - you do what you think works!

Let's go to the museum today!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for your comment over at my blog. I'd be honored to be linked with ya! Thanks! =-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Spring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Your IST sounds very nice in giving you the materials and letting you assist in her class. Awesome.

    Congratulations on how nicely everything is working out with school. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)