...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I think I now qualify...

for Worst Mother Ever. Is there such an award (if it could be called that)? Today, we had another dentist appointment for Elf, this time with a fantastic dentist that I've been trying and trying to get insurance to approve. Long story fairly short, the dental clinic I've been taking them to (thank you DentiCal and then Healthy Families) has not been doing good work, at all. He has inherited weak teeth, mostly from his dad's side of the family, though a couple of people on my side always had dental issues too, so I've been diligent about brushing, flossing, check-ups, etc., but he has still always had cavities. Well, all his fillings are falling out, there's decay under them, and he has to have at least one tooth completely removed. Major dental work, for a SIX year old, including sedation. Crap. I felt so guilty sitting in that dental office today, hearing about (and seeing) how many problems there really are. M says I should not feel guilty, which I guess I really shouldn't, but I still do. After all, I am the one that took them to the dental clinic. And he's now on antibiotics for problems related to the decay. AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

In other, and better news, my baby is now FIVE. Yesterday was her big birthday, and it was a good day. Started out opening a few gifts, including one she has been wanting for quite a while, a Woodkins dress-up doll - these are great dolls, and thanks to my mom, I have tons of fabric scraps available, followed by berry-topped pancakes at Fairy's request. After a couple of hours of playing with her new toys, we went to a 4H project, where we made homemade fingerpaint and paintbrushes, and got to see a few people we hadn't seen in a while, which was nice. Then, in the evening at home we had the family party, where she got approximately a million gifts (Elf also got a few), much of it art and/or fairy related. One of Elf's was a fantastic pop-up book by Maurice Sendak, one of my favorite artists ever. Fairy got a few lovely books about fairies, illustrated by Michael Hague, whose beautiful artwork is a recent discovery for us. It was a really fun and mostly relaxed day, and Fairy said she loved it all. I'm still trying to take in that she's already five, kind of a bittersweet emotional state!

Oh, and we're very bad about school lately. I guess this week we're unschoolers of a sort.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, poor Cyrus. That sounds so difficult. But if you've been taking him to the dentist, but that dentist was sucky, how would you know unless you went to a good dentist? Totally does not sound like your fault. Though, you know, I know it's hard not to feel like crummy mom. I feel bad when my kids get a cavity ... "I tell them to brush!!!!!" so I hear you.

    *hugs*

    Awwww, and a happy fifth birthday to your Cassia. Awwww.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about Cyrus's teeth! He must've gotten my teeth somehow! Poor kid! Here's the bad mommy award though - after I got major dental stuff done, my mom would always take me out for a milkshake. ??? Where is the logic in that??? Actually, she said the cold would help my mouth hurt less afterward. It never hurt, but I never argued either. ;)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)