...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Hot, hot weather

According to our indoor/outdoor thermometer, it's been above 100 the past few days... uuuugggghhhh. Too hot. But we have filled the old unused hot tub with cold water and we all spend time in it daily, especially the kids, who are learning to swim.

Picked my first eggplant today and we have a bunch of baby tomatoes - we planted mainly heirloom tomatoes and my Cherokee Purple is putting out a lot of little babies. We're looking at investing in some excellent organic topsoil early next spring as the dirt here is too dense and has too much clay in it. A lot of things - flowers, veggies, etc - don't seem to want to grow in the dirt here. Plus we have gophers, so the current plan is to dig about a foot down, put down a layer of chicken wire, then put the dirt back, mixed with the topsoil. That means that next year we will have a real vegetable garden, not just a few plants here and there.

Been sick for the last 4 days - an intestinal flu according to the doctor, who took me out of work for the next couple of days. I applied for sick leave since I really can't afford to miss work. I have used the time to catch up on odds and ends around the house when I'm not sleeping. Applied for financial aid for school today as I desperately want to go back to college. Now I'm dithering, as usual, about my major. I know an Associate's degree in Library Science would be more useful, but the artist in me wants to just go for an art degree, just so I can say I have it. I hate trying to make this decision... thankfully I still have some time to decide while I take all my gen ed classes, if I get the financial assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)