...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, October 30, 2006

Random thoughts about planning ahead...

’ve been doing a LOT of thinking lately, about how we’re homeschooling, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I actually need some organization. Not an actual schedule, mind you, but maybe a sort of general plan. I think if we were a little more organized in our approach, we’d be more productive without additional stress. So here is my plan… First, we are cutting actual sit-down homeschooling down to 4 days a week. On those days we will do reading/writing work, story time, and math. On two of the days we’ll work on social studies, and science on the other two. That’s it! Not much of a plan, is it? I don’t want to get over-structured – too much (i.e. a schedule) wouldn’t suit our family right now. I just want a general plan so that I know I am hitting the important things! We get plenty of art, music, etc. into every day, so I am not even worrying about those right now. I also have spent some time lately looking at California Education Standards over the past couple of weeks, for kindergarten through 3rd grade. The way they organize history/social studies confuses me… for example, in 3rd grade, they study Native Americans, early settlers, and the three branches of the government as they are today. I can see how the first two subjects fit together, but then you throw in modern government? M & I have been debating back and forth if it is better to approach history through geography (study you state’s history, then your country’s history, then move outward) or sequentially through time, starting of course with ancient civilizations. If you read this, what is your opinion on teaching/learning history? Next year we are actually taking an idea from the California Dept. of Education, and will be studying countries around the globe and their customs/foods/etc (social studies, not history yet). For science we can study the country of choice’s animals, geological features, plant life, and so forth. I can see having a LOT of fun with this! Second grade is supposed to be about people that have made a contribution to the world, such as George Washington, Einstein, etc. This could potentially be a lot of fun as well, since we get to pick and choose whom to study. Maybe I am thinking too much about this whole thing! All you veteran homeschoolers out there, does it work better for your family to plan ahead a bit, or to take each day as it comes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)