...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Thursday, Friday, Saturday & today...

Thursday: We got absolutely no school done, whatsoever. I had a nice quiet afternoon & evening planned... soccer practice had been canceled, so I though we'd actually get a bunch of schoolwork done! I left work at 2, stopped at the store to pick up milk, got back in my SUV and... nothing. Wouldn't even turn over. So I called my mom, who has Triple A (which I need to get myself), she called a tow truck, and my sister came in case I needed a ride. The mechanic jump-started the SUV (about an hour had passed now), and I started off merrily down the road, figuring I could easily make it 2 miles. Stop-light... and there it goes again. Completely dead. Not even my hazard lights would work. Thankfully, a really nice guy pulled up behind me, turned on his hazard lights, and pushed my car out of the intersection, into the entrance to a senior citizen mobile home park. I wrote a note, to let residents know it was broken down and I was going to call a tow truck, and while I was doing this, the wind blew the door shut, with my keys inside, of course. I walked to my mom's house (2 blocks away), we called the tow truck again, and I went back to wait. It has now been 2 hours since it stopped in the first place. About 45 minutes later, the same tow truck guy shows up, spends 15 minutes popping open the lock (which actually pops out of the door, oops), and recharges the battery, then follows me home. I got home at 6 pm, ehausted from the sheer stress, so we got nothing done.
 
Friday: We borrowed my mom's car and went to C.J.'s gymnastics class - the last one in the month we paid for through the city rec department. I talked to her teacher/coach afterwards, and then to M when I got home, and we have decided to enroll her in classes through the gymnastics facility itself. Bonus - they offer afternoon classes, unlike the city, so I will get to take her, instead of asking my mom to , do it. Plus, if C.O. decided he wants to try it, they have classes for boys his age right before or after the options for her classes! And then we went to the library. Returned some books and checked out a bunch more, plus Magic Schoolbus videos on bugs and plants. We got the stories of Johnny Appleseed and Paul Bunyan, plus a bunch of books on farms, plants and farm animals. The kids were really good at the library, so we stopped and got yogurt smoothies on the way home. Meanwhile, M left for the weekend, heading down to a friend's to help with some roofing.  At home, we watched one of the episodes on bugs (bees actually), did a quick math lesson, and then the kids headed out front to ride bikes. I started dinner, and when it started getting dark, the kids came back in, and we worked on Maps, Graphs, Globes, then HM Phonics and HWOT, while C.J. colored and counted on a chart. Then we started a science experiement on capillary action. After dinner we watched "Bambi" (C.J.'s library pick).
 
Yesterday: Spent the early am reading Curious George stories. Then, C.O. had a soccer game (they lost by a long shot this time). After that, we went over to the playground, and ran into D4, H3 and their mom! She never actually went into labor the other day - the contractions went all night, then stopped. So all the kids played together for about an hour, then we headed to the grocery store, the movie rental place, and home. Both kids elected to have some quiet time after their busy morning - they wanted to watch "Over the Hedge", and C.J. actually fell asleep before long. After that, they played outside some more. We did Saxon Math 18A & B, and worked with the reader and letter cards again, then checked on their science project, which is doing well. We watched "Over the Hedge" on the couch with popcorn before bed.
 
Today: I am taking the car, if it starts, over to a mechanic friend at about noon - current theory is that the alternator has died. Currently the kids are watching the Little Einsteins Halloween episode. We made muffins this morning (cooking lesson, plus math and science!), and later on we'll sit down to do some more math, reading, etc. I also need to do some laundry and some grocery shopping. We hope to carve our pumpkins tonight as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)