...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, December 29, 2006

I think I have next year mostly figured out...

Though there are some issues I am still resolving with science and history, as you can see below.

Math - We'll stick with Saxon Math as it has been working out very well for us.

Language Arts - I hope to continue with Houghton Mifflin Spelling & Vocabulary Phonics in Action, another program that's been working well for us. C.O. enjoys it and it is well put together.

History - I have the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, but am debating between following the original plans as outlined in the Well Trained Mind, and buying the Story of the World. Then, should I but the SOTW Activity Guide, or get some Dover Coloring books (which are gorgeous) and design my own activities?

Science - I have gotten a lot of recommendations for this topic! The top three I'm looking at are: My Pals Are Here from Singapore Math; Noeo Science, which looks really cool, but would I need to buy the experiment kits, or could I put together experiments myself; or the series Let's Read & Find Out, which I can get many of from the library. I am going to steal an idea from another hs'ing mom, jennyberm (hope you don't mind!) and integrate science and history studies in later grades, but for now I want to build a solid foundation of the basic principles of each science discipline as outlined in WTM.

I think we're going to stick with the charter school for next year too. C.O. really enjoys his enrichment classes, and I do like having such a range of choices of supplies, etc. without having to dump out loads of money to try new things. I need to meet with his "teacher" before then and figure out if they have any of the resources mentioned above - if I am not mistaken, some of the handouts she gave me were from Noeo Science, so I'll have to dig those out and see.

As for current time, today we're going to do some math, HM Spelling/Vocab/Phonics, and some work with Easy Lessons for Teaching Word Families. Plus, M is taking C.O. fishing for the first time later this afternoon, so I may take C.J. to a park. Looking at the short-term future, C.J. seems eager to return to gymnastics in a couple of weeks, but C.O. says he might like to try martial arts. I think I can take him in for a free Aikido lesson before he decides. At this point, I don't mind them trying new things on a regular basis as they're still very young. Neither of them need to focus exclusively on one physical activity over another. C.J. did mention that she might like to try dance classes, which she can do inexpensively through the city parks & rec department. So, physical ed is kind of up in the air right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)