...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ready for Rome....

We decided a library visit would be just the thing on a rainy, rainy day (4th or 5th one in a row). Since we are just starting on Rome in Story of the World, we browsed around and found these...



The kids are excited about starting something new, and having watched an episode of the Time Warp Trio called "See You Later, Gladiator" they are convinced Ancient Rome will be "really cool!" I think with SOTW and the above, we have plenty on hand to get started with.

Other than that, we are taking a break from Saxon Math while Elf learns his times tables (and the division that goes with them), and Fairy will work on number families in a book called MathSteps. I found all kinds of websites for multiplication, and I like the way MathSteps lays out the number families, both of which I would like the kids to have a rock-solid understanding of before we move on in math. I am also considering other options for next year's math, maybe Teaching Textbooks? From what I have read, and from the samples on their website, we could skip both kids ahead with no problem. I guess until pre-algebra, Teaching Textbooks is a year "behind"... it looks like TT4 covers a lot of what Elf already knows. But, we may stick with Saxon as it has worked well for us so far, and it does go all the way up through high school math.
Now off to actually educate my kids!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Rome is so much fun. My son didn't get into it. He was more stuck on ancient Egypt (it's a Yu-Gi-Oh! thing... LOL), but I really enjoyed revisiting ancient Rome.

    We just finished medieval times, and my son is all about castles. :)

    I hope everybody has fun in ancient Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get started on SOTW next year. I love reading what others are doing.

    We also use Saxon, but I am debating moving to TT later, maybe ???? Saxon has always worked for us, but TT seems so neat !

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're ahead of us in SOTW. I'm trying to pick up the pace, but with minimal success so far. Will be interested to "peek over your shoulder," so to speak!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)