...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, January 22, 2010

Wrapping up the week...

It has been a decent week, though very wet - rain for days on end and it is starting to make the kids cranky. Right now they're okay as they are building a town out of cardboard... they used a huge sheet to draw roads, and now they're making houses, and driving Hot Wheels all over it.

Language Arts
Elf is continuing to read The Magician's Boy. He did all his work in Writing Tales this week too. Next week I plan to start cursive writing with him, probably using Happy Scribe copybooks. I bought their package deal sometime back, so I have dozens of topics to choose from! He also re-read Punctuation Takes a Vacation, and did a few pages in G.U.M. on predicates.

Fairy is doggedly going through Phonics Pathways. She is trying to read more, and spent some time on Starfall yesterday, working on the little books instead of the letter pages. Her handwriting is developing nicely, although she tends to do some letters the reverse of the way Handwriting Without Tears says to. Maybe it is the left-handedness? For example, she does small "e" from the bottom up. I'm not really too picky about this. If her handwriting is legible, I'm happy!

We are still reading The Tale of Desperaux at night (when I'm not at work!), and are very much enjoying it. I think our next read-aloud will be The Phantom Tollbooth.

Math
We are on a break from Saxon. Elf is working on times tables and Fairy is working on number families in addition and subtraction. I make my own worksheets, or find them online. Fairy did a few pages in Houghton Mifflin's MathSteps this week too, since units 5-8 focus on various number families.

History
We are in Ancient Rome! We spent maybe an hour yesterday looking at Rome in Spectacular Cross-Section. My kids love that type of book, so it made for a good, quiet time with both of them sitting in the big chair. They also watched the Rome episode of Time Warp Trio. Next week we'll launch into SOTW, map work, and all that.

On a side note, here are pictures of their Greek Vase project from last week:





Science
This week the kids followed their own interests in science. Elf took apart and re-built both his microscope and telescope, successfully. He spent a lot of time examining rain water, puddle water, tap water, etc. under the microscope, and shared his findings with Fairy. They also watched a few episodes of Magic School Bus this week, since we can't go outside much!

Other
Elf has gotten into stop-motion photography/filming (hence the bend-a-roos on the wall in the above pictures). I'm trying to figure out how to make the uploaded pictures into a film, maybe PhotoBucket? Anyhow, once I get one done, I'll post it.

Both kids spent time playing guitars this week, and their drums. They've played board games, and gone to tap (Elf) and tap/ballet (Fairy) classes. We might go to homeschool gymnastics in an hour if I can find Elf's sweatpants!

14 comments:

  1. The vases are WONDERFUL! And ds really enjoyed "The Phantom Tollbooth." I did too, there are some really good word plays in it.

    It sounds like a great week, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Greek vase ... You are making me really want to do that project! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really impressed with those vases! We really like Punctuation Takes A Vacation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really great Greek vases! I love their proud faces... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the vase project online? I've love to have directions.

    Very impressed with the taking apart the microscope & telescope & getting them back together again. Maybe he can give my hubby pointers on that. LOL.

    We had a ton of rain here this week also. Makes me wonder if we live on the same side of the globe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love the Greek vase project! I know your children are proud of those vases!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cardboard towns...I miss those days! What a great week - I really enjoyed reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on those vases! They must be very proud of their hard work. We'll be starting Story of the World soon and I'm very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh, the vases look fabulous! I'll have to remember those next year when we do the Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:12 PM

    Wow - those vases are impressive! Nice work! your week sounds like a good one - I hope the sun comes out soon for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daisy, the Greek vases are from the SOTW activity book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What an awesome project!! You're much braver than me! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greek vases look beautiful - and the art work on top of it is also quite impressive...

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)