...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, February 1, 2010

Homeschooling myself...

In getting my degree, I have to jump through a few hoops... one of which is math. I have to take Intermediate Algebra and get a C or better in order to get into Statistics, which is the "acceptable" math course for graduation. So I tried taking Int. Algebra. The first time, I missed a passing grade by 3 points. I will openly admit, math is NOT my strong point, at least not when I get into more advanced topics. So I thought I'd try again this semester. Unfortunately for me, I chose an early morning class, assuming my boss would be willing to work around my schedule as was promised when I was hired. Nope. I keep getting closing shifts the day before class, which results in maybe 5 hours of sleep. Not working for me. So I dropped the class today, before dropping it would result in a bad grade (or the dreaded "W" for withdrawal). What can I do now? Well, I have my textbook, and a handy dandy website, so I am going to homeschool myself in algebra, and do my darndest to test out of algebra and straight into Statistics! Thankfully, the community college I am taking math through will let me take the placement test twice a semester if needed. Hopefully this plan will work. If not, in the worst case scenario, I can retake the algebra class over the summer while the kids take swimming lessons. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:47 PM

    I admire you greatly. I could not do algebra for the life of me! When my son gets to that stage in his homeschooling, I hope to learn along with him. :)

    If not, my husband will have to take over teaching math! And I don't want to give up if I don't have to.

    Go for it! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always figured when my kids hit the algebra age (anything past beginning algebra that is) I'd send them to classes at the community college! Neither dh or I are math wizards, or anything even barely close to that.

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)