...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, July 10, 2010

I have got to stop...

Finding really interesting reprints of old books and adding them to my cart over at Amazon. You might remember sometime ago when I found these books. And then I was thrilled to find this book, which combines them all at an excellent price. Yesterday, waiting in vain for an email, I browsed Amazon some more, and An Old Fashioned Education. Somehow, between the two, I found a few more tempting items for next year....

For Elf, who is very interested in the world of bugs, I found...



Then, for American History, I found this series (there are 4)...



Now, having read through part of this over at Project Gutenburg, I am aware that Native Americans aren't portrayed very fully, at least in the first chapter. I could add in something for that, because other than that, I love the tone of the writing, and so do the kids (we read through the first three chapters). Immensely more appealing than many of the books out there on American history. I had planned on doing American history for two years, then back to world history with the book below (though plans may change by then)... Anyhow, with four books in the American Stories series, I could do two a year, with extra read-alouds on points of interest, hands-on projects, etc.




I went ahead and ordered the following book, used of course, to preview as a possible resource for a narrative version of Native American history. We'll see!


Then of course there are these...








Yes, I am aware that these books are available for free online, which is part of the dilemma. Do I buy the books themselves, or do I download them and print them out when I get a laser printer sometime in August? Figuring out the comparative prices isn't easy. And I do love books, actual books, that are bound, and can be held. Hmmmm.... I think I may stick with Amazon.


Also in my browsing, I found something that I like better than Saxon Math 2 for Fairy. I found MEP: Mathematics Enhancement Programme, from the Centre for Innovation in Mathematics Teaching (yes, it's British). It is a FREE curriculum, that looks both challenging and interesting. While An Old Fashioned Education recommends using Year 3 for second grade, many of the people on message boards who have actually used it recommend shifting the opposite direction. After looking through several hundred pages, I think I could start Fairy with workbook 1B and move forward at her pace from there. Of course, it is not entirely free in that I would have to print it out. But, since it is black and white, it would be cheap enough to do on a laser printer. I want to look at it for Elf too, though I do like the looks of Saxon 5/4.

I do need to stop finding cool old books though. For a cheap homeschool education, this could get expensive!

3 comments:

  1. I deeply wish that I had, when my children were small, bought those old books that were free online to fill my childrens shelves with instead of buying the new cool ones with all the fancy graphics that were not available online. What is in the house is what the children will learn to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying your blog and noticed that we like the same template {smile}.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we love those yesterday's classics too! especially the wildlife related ones :)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)