...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Looking ahead to the fall...

I am starting, naturally, to really think about where we'll be going with homeschooling in the fall. I studied my choices, considered alternatives, and have narrowed it down pretty well. These choices may change a bit between now and then!

For Cyrus
Language Arts:
I'm ditching the writing programs and will have him write across the curriculum.
Winston Grammar.
A combo of The Natural Speller and Spelling City.
Lots of reading.

Math:
Life of Fred Fractions, with the Math Mammoth Blue series as a supplement (we'll use the Key To... series for supplementation after LOF Decimals) OR Teaching Textbooks 5.

Logic:
I am thinking about starting in on this subject with Cyrus. So far I am considering Mindbenders and Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery.

Other:
We hope to continue with 4H. Cyrus will continue with piano lessons, and he may try Tae Kwon Do. Hopefully, the monthly potluck-around-the-world group will continue, and we'll loosely study a country a month.

For Cassia
Language Arts:
Primary Language Lessons part 1 and maybe into part 2.
Elson Readers.
Explode the Code 2-4 to bolster phonics.
Handwriting Without Tears.

Math:
Math Mammoth Blue series. I looked at the Light Blue series which is the "complete curriculum" but she's on different levels in different topics, and I like mixing and matching topics. OR I may start her in Teaching Textbooks 3.

Other:
Again, more 4H. She would like to try TKD as well. And the around-the-world studies/potluck.

For Both Children
History & Science
We're tying this all together, and starting at the beginning. I plan to use Gombrich's Little History of the World, alongside the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia, as [a] spine(s) to organize everything, and then we'll be adding in great living books, hands-on activities, and more. We'll start with geology as the earth forms, then address evolution, dinosaurs, and so on into the history of people. As soon as we reach that point in history, we'll add in The Story of Science series.

The Arts:
Artists and music/composers through the passage of time, plus The Phonics of Drawing for actual art instruction.

And I think that's it! We'll see if these plans change significantly or not by fall!

2 comments:

  1. I really like seeing what you're thinking about doing next year. It gives me some ideas too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, G. Sounds like a lot of fun! I can wait to hear what you think of Mr. Q. If you don't have a copy of PLL, let me know. We aren't using ours, you are welcome to it. :0)

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)