...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ahhh... a week off...

From work, that is. A week to enjoy summer, get organized for fall homeschooling, have my first college class of the semester, and so on, and so forth.

We have loose plans... a beach trip Monday, date night for M and I after my class on Wednesday, an awesome pool trip on Thursday, and our favorite Park Day on Friday. Maybe a playdate with some friends we haven't seen in a while. And I have plans for getting back into the Couch Potato to 5K running program, getting fully prepped for homeschooling, and daily deep household cleaning.

Today though is a lazy day. A day to decide on phonics, go through teacher's guides, make up a list of supplies still needed, finish paperwork for my college financial aid, read blogs, and that sort of thing. I should probably do a bit of tidying ;)

Cyrus has a new fascination lately, 3D paper crafts. He found this web site, and I think we print something from it nearly every day. My supply of cardstock is nearly exhausted! I am sloooowly getting together a list of historical paper crafts. And am coming up with projects for history studies, like a model of the Nile River, complete with pyramids, that we can flood and seed... I'm thinking wheatgrass seeds would be an easy one. And henna tattoos when we do ancient India. I did order the book 120 Step-by-Step History Projects. Anyhow, back to the original topic here, I figure with his passion for all things 3D and paper, I might as well take advantage of it! I'll have to get some pictures up... he's made a paper laptop (with motherboard, etc. inside), cars, robots, a TV with rabbit-ear antennae, and more.

Cassia found her MCP Phonics and Spelling books already, and has done work in both of her own accord. She even brought out flashcards I had made and had me go through them with her. Over the next week or so, I plan to have her play around on Starfall to go over the letters she has trouble with. I am planning to order All About Spelling Level 1 for her (Cyrus can use it too if he likes), but have to wait until I have a bit more money. I think the mastery, multisensory approach will work well.

Other bits and pieces from this week...
Charlotte's Web (live action movie)
Lots of watermelon
A simple and delicious new favorite smoothie (Silk's Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, peanut butter, and frozen bananas)
Finished Winnie the Pooh and started The Wind in the Willows
Several games of Old Maid, War, and Go Fish
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Playing in our backyard pool
Numerous art and paper projects all over the house
Lots of time curled up with cats
Homemade popsicles
Pink Panther cartoons and Fractured Fairy Tales

I am looking forward to a week of being able to focus on everything except work!

1 comment:

  1. The Nile model was absolutely the best project we did during our studies of ancient Egypt. So fun and interesting and useful. Post pics when you do it!

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)