...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Thinking...

I keep reading that much of our history studies (history studies in general) focus on "Western Civilization", which is true for the most part. Then I read this post on Small World at Home about how much Sarah (the blog author) loves Sonlight's Core F, which focuses on Eastern civilizations. And it got me thinking that perhaps, after we read about Egypt-Greece-Rome, we ought to read about those Eastern civilizations... Asia (including India), the Middle East, and more of Africa than simply Egypt. I can't buy a Sonlight program, and it's not secular so that wouldn't be suiting, but I could certainly put something together using some of their book recommendations along with other bits and pieces. I wouldn't mind a year'ish of the Far and Middle East! And Cassia has a fascination with all things India... are there any narrative-style histories of the Far/Middle East? I know there is Suzanne Strauss Art's Story of Ancient China, or Chinese History Stories, but then for India?

Or we could easily put off Rome for now, and work in some studies on Ancient China and India. Lots of things to consider, but since I am not really scheduling out the year, we have lots of flexibility. Instead of scheduling, we're just taking it as it goes for history. Everything else just falls into place - Teaching Textbooks only has so many lessons, as do the writing and phonics programs we'll be using, and then Elemental Science is all scheduled for us!

Anyhow, just rambling, and thinking aloud with my fingertips. I threw my upper back out last night, so I'm not doing loads of energetic stuff right now, giving me far too much time to browse book selections! How is your week going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)