...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Musings...

So nice to have a three day weekend!

Outside My Window...
We're still waiting for rain. It has been getting colder, lots of frost every morning. I looked at some extended forecasts online, and supposedly we'll have "scattered showers' at the end of the month.

In My Garden...
We spent the weekend dealing with internet issues, and cleaning the house, so we did not yet get around to the dormant pruning. We'll have to get to that next weekend! M and I are also working on raised bed plans, which we hope to put in by the end of March.

In My Kitchen...
I managed to come in under budget the last couple of weeks as far as groceries go! I'm able to do that by doing this, well... mostly, anyway. Some things I am cooking this week include chickpeas with tomato and greens; Thai pork with peanut sauce (crockpot dish, so very easy!); a roasted chicken -- the leftovers will make great quesadillas; and black beans with orange and cumin. I'm trying to make the lighter meals on the days The Boy has fencing, since we head over there right after eating.

In Our Homeschooling...
The Boy is studying for the NME currently. I printed out the bibliography for him, and he's using that to schedule his studies. He's also starting a course this week in basic physics, through Coursera. He is starting a week late, but I think he'll catch right up. I told him the quizzes and such are optional for him right now, so it will be interesting to see if he chooses to take them. He'll continue with Writing With Skill, and Life of Fred as well.

The Girl and I plan to finish up reading about tree kangaroos this week, and to learn a bit about Australia. I think we might try making these mini pavlovas too! And I want to get her started on some work from The Amateur Zoologist. She's doing well with Intermediate Language Lessons and Life of Fred, so we'll keep going with those, plus, of course, continued review/fluency work with Reading Pathways.

Other Bits & Pieces...
I am nearly done with both my own scarf and the one I am making for The Girl. I've been reading through some of Sarah Addison Allen's books recently, and have really enjoyed them. Of course I now have plenty of reading to do for my class, so it was especially nice to get in some fun, free reading. I've been watching Downton Abbey, of course! The kids have been on a Looney Tunes kick for a few days, and it has been fun to see them enjoying cartoons I grew up with. Plus, the episodes lead to some great discussions about physics (or the suspension of the properties of physics), and classical music.

And A Couple of Pictures...
We went outside early yesterday morning, to find turkeys roosting in our neighbor's tree! I somehow did not ever realize turkeys roosted like that...



Have a fantastic week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)