...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday Musings...

Outside My Window...
We had a spot of rain last week, but generally the weather is clear and quite warm. Lots to look at in the garden, both front and back!

In My House & Garden...
We've got about a million green cherries on the tree this year. I need to buy a cherry pitter so that we can pit and freeze any "extras". Our veggie garden is in at last, and going well - we have tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, carrots, green beans, and watermelon. I'm planting more herbs and some Mesclun very shortly. I'm aching all over from digging through our very hard soil, but got lots of help from the kids, and figure it was good exercise! I was also given a few asparagus plants and a lot of Douglas Iris by a friend, so I need to get those in. The olive tree is in full (and messy) bloom, and it looks like we'll have plenty of peaches. I actually even cleaned the living room yesterday! (I've been sadly neglecting housework)



In My Kitchen...
I've been loving the fresh artichokes from my front yard lately. And M caught two wild trout this weekend, so we had those yesterday. There's more grilling going on these days, with the fish last night, and hamburgers today, then the kids and I are on our own for dinners the remainder of the week, as M will be at work. Probably an omelet night, as we have plenty of eggs, and ???

Currently Considering...
The kids want to return to a more traditional school calendar, which I guess they got used to during our early charter school years, so it looks like we might have a long summer after all! I'm thinking too about work, and what I want to do, or don't want to do, as the case may be. I'm thinking I might enjoy working in a bookstore for a while. I've got 6th grade for The Girl all planned (I think... science and history are still flexible), and we're both looking forward to it, so now I have to finish planning 8th grade for The Boy! I'm also planning out some very light summer "school" (Everyday History of Somewhere, Family Math games, maybe something on science, hopefully some field trips).

In Our Homeschool...
Continuing to work with The Girl on getting her multiplication tables solid. The Boy will continue working on fractions and decimals this week. I want The Boy to continue working on outlining, and The Girl on narrations. There hasn't been a huge amount of interest in the Hogswarts classes as yet, but we'll see.

Reading & Watching...
We might set aside Human Odyssey again for a while, and read a few Landmark books to wrap up the year, starting with Sequoyah: Leader of the Cherokees. I've also decided it is high time we start using the All About books I have, so we'll start with All About the Stars, and I have some of these gorgeous books on hand as well. I am hoping to wrap up A Wind in the Willows soon. We'll watch more Cosmos, and probably more of the series We Shall Remain, which we started last week after another episode of Mankind: The Story of All of Us got us thinking about Native Americans. The Boy will be reading from The Wizard of Quarks, and I'd like to finish Caddie Woodlawn with The Girl.

Plans This Week...
Going to a May birthdays celebration with my dad at his assisted living facility. Besides that, nothing out of the ordinary!

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)