...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Friday, February 22, 2008

Green Hour Challenge #1...

The Green Hour Challenge (No Child Left Inside) looks great, and so I decided to use our trip to the beach as a jumping off point. We spent the entire day (well, about 5 hours) exploring a familiar stretch of coast made unfamilar by the very low tide. We saw hermit crabs, a variety of starfish, a few sea slugs, several varieties of seaweed and sea grass, and more!

Elf's two focuses for the week:

Hermit crabs - Why do they live in different types of shells?
Most species of hermit crabs have long soft abdomens which are protected from predators by the adaptation of carrying around an salvaged empty seashell, which the whole crab's body can retract into. Most frequently hermit crabs utilize the shells of sea snails, marine gastropod mollusks. The tip of the hermit crab's abdomen is adapted to clasp strongly onto the columella of the snail shell. As the hermit crab grows in size it has to find a larger shell and abandon the previous one.

Or, as I explained it to Elf, the hermit crabs have unprotected bellies, so they use empty shells of other sea creatures to protect themselves from birds and other animals that might hurt or eat them. As the hermit crab gets bigger, it outgrows the shell just like we outgrow our clothes, so it searches around until it finds a new one that fits better, and then it suctions itself into it.

How do starfish move?
Starfish do not rely on a jointed, movable skeleton for support and locomotion (although they are protected by their skeleton), but instead possess a hydraulic water vascular system that aids in locomotion. The water vascular system has many projections called tube feet on the ventral face of the starfish's arms which function in locomotion and aid with feeding.

My explanation to Elf: Starfish have little tubes, called tube feet, on the underside of their bodies. They can squirt water from these tube feet and move around by essentially jetting themselves everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd be happy to share my Great States lesson plans with you if you'd like when I'm all done. I just have notes on what we read, etc. if that would help. It's lots of fun!
    SmallWorld

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are joining us for the Green Hour Challenge! I love learning about things from tide pools and your photos in your previous entry are awesome.

    I read down your blog and enjoyed your musings about homeschooling. I have to say that I sort of chuckled reading the entry about making sure to frame your science around CA standards. You have nothing to worry about from what I see on your blog! Nature study is real science and piggy-backing on their questions will lead you in so many directions over the years. Natural learning coupled with a nature journal will eventually be a treasure for your family.

    I live in CA too and have used a Charter school-it is a struggle to stay with the grades as far as science but we just follow in our own order...we always had a great overseeing teacher.

    Thanks for posting your link, love your blog.

    Barb-Harmony Art Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We joined the Green Hour Challenge as well. This is my first visit to your blog. What a great start! I love spending my days at the beach. There is so much to enjoy.

    Patricia
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful day at the beach! I love your version of the the findings! :o)

    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)