...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Some pictures, and some musing...

Hard at work...
Also very studious...

Not quite so serious...

Just plain silly...


Just had to share some of these - they're from Monday. We have had a good homeschooling week thus far. Elf is excited about ETC 3, and Fairy is on the last few pages of Get Ready for the Code. Math-wise, Elf is working on carrying, and on basic mixed numbers/fractions, while Fairy continues plugging along in her workbook. We read a great Egyptian story - The Winged Cat - and we're in unit 3 in science, "Food for Plants", which discusses the basic structure of plants, and how they function. We are almost finished with Boxcar Children too. This is definately the most success we have had with a chapter book so far, as every evening (that I'm home anyway) the kids beg me to read another chapter or two.

Still haven't gotten anywhere with my inner turmoil. I sat down today at Elf's charter school and actually looked through Oak Meadow. It's a slightly older version, so the history, etc., is a little different than that online, but overall it is much the same - strangely enough, the history/social studies in these almost fit in with our current planned schedule. And it's a lovely curriculum. I am really tempted to try it out, since my kids are always drawing and wanting stories, and this is focused so much on those two things. The only remaining issue is where to place them in it. Second grade actually looks like a good fit for Elf, while Fairy would be between kindergarten and first grade. I would keep Saxon Math though, I think.... is there such a thing as an Oak Meadow placement test? I also think I will skip the recorder and crocheting parts for now, though knitting and crocheting would be cool things to know how to do. The recorder though, not so much.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, there was some talk of Oak Meadows on another board I frequent:
    http://4real.thenetsmith.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=17904&PN=2

    HTH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, duh, I forgot to say that I thought your kids are adorable ... but aging much too quickly. Sheesh. Why do kids grow so fast???????

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)