...

If we value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us. ~ Adlai Stevenson

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Hmmm... maybe need to rethink things a little...

Elf told me yesterday that he really doesn't like SOTW. Which, in retrospect, I can see, in that he can't remember anything I read out of it for more than 30 seconds. He says he "loves" the other books on Egypt that we are reading right now, but not SOTW.

So, what do I do? Do I continue reading it to him in the hopes that he'll learn to like it? Do I just move to the original ideas behind WTM and read aloud good books? I am much more tempted by option #2. Forcing things on my two has never gone over well, and I want him to enjoy his schooling process. I want him to be intrigued and to learn because he's enjoying what we're doing.

I also need to decide if we're going to stick with the charter school or strike out on our own in the next couple of years. Pros for sticking with it: Elf really enjoys it and Fairy is looking forward to it. I do like having them in a couple of classes to be around other kids regularly. I like having so much curriculum to pick and choose from. I like not having to keep extensive records (laziness?), though I do keep some for my own peace of mind. Cons: There's testing in 2nd grade, though I think it's somewhat optional. I also believe that we may have to start following the California State Education Content Standards more than we are now, in the areas of history and science (since we are essentially on target or ahead in the other areas). Looking at them, I can tweak things I am doing now (like chronological history) to essentially fit them since I am already extending our current history cycle. But it does mean I need to weigh options carefully over the next several months. So, just in case, so I am prepared either way, I have started compiling a list of resources that I like and that would work with the aforementioned standards. So far, I've only got some bare bones of history figured out, and haven't touched science.

Just have to move forward and see!

2 comments:

  1. My kids liked the stories in SOTW, but not the choppiness, which happened due to the author covering so much chronologically. Wowza. We abandoned SOTW for just good library books and reading the stuff in order.

    Sometimes, we abandon chronology if the wind of a current interest blows us in an opposite direction. But we are somewhat chronological.

    Keep us posted about what you decide to do. (There's SO much out there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that my son liked Hillyer's Child's History of the World MUCH MUCH MUCH better than SOTW. Actually, I liked it better, too.
    SmallWorld

    ReplyDelete

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Emerson

Thanks for stopping by! I love comments :)